What is your opinion of chambered LP's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Papa Van Smack, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Papa Van Smack

Papa Van Smack Member

It's a big turn off to me, the idea of it, I haven't actually had much time to play on one. To me the entire idea of that les paul tone was that giant slab of mahogany just pushing it's weight around on each note, so to lighten the body just seems to be a terrible idea to me.

If you have experience with both, I'd be really interested in your opinion. Maybe I'll get a go on these chambered LP's.....maybe I'll need to look at some used older models. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i had a '79 custom, sounded great, weighed about 850lbs. i have a '60s tribute, sounds great, weighs nothing. i don't have a problem with 'em.

3. Kingby

Kingby Member

The idea of 10 pounds hanging off my shoulders and back is a big turn off for me. The weight savings "out weighs" any minor (if noticeable) tone change.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

My Chambered Historic sounds bigger than my solid ;) Standard. More of everything. I'm a fan, but then again I'm also pretty open minded.

5. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

I learned a couple years ago that the ideal weight for a guitar for me was under 8 lbs. My back just doesn't like anything heavier and it'll let me know the day after I play one.

I have a 1960 Chambered Historic that I absolutely love, it weighs under 7.5 lbs and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have played several non-chambered Les Pauls, and the weight on those was always a turn-off for me.

Until the Chambered Reissues came along, or I found out about them, I had just assumed I'd never be able to own a Les Paul.

My '60s Tribute is light-weight too, but still not as light as the CR0 :D

6. Dale

Dale Member

What is the difference you hear between a Tele and a semi hollow tele?

7. Slashtone

Slashtone Member

I love Les Pauls. I don't love having a heavy guitar hanging on my shoulder.

I've tried the chambered Les Pauls, but they just don't sound or feel like Les Pauls to me. I wish I did like them, as it would be easier on the ol' back, but for now, I'll stick with my solid Les Pauls.

8. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

Don't have one but seems they work well enough for Billy G. I'd love to try a chambered R4.

9. patentcad

patentcad Member

I like my chambered Les Paul Standard Plus. 7lbs 12 oz, great tone. And it's a looker too.

[​IMG]

10. Sean French

Sean French Member

I dig chambered guitars.
    I've owned a couple LP' that were chambered. One a Historic and the one I now have a 50's Tribute gold top w/P90.

Nothin' wrong with them at all. Gibson has been doin' them since the 50's.
    Mary Ford's gold top was chambered. Bill Gibbons mostly uses chambered LP' and Ed King has a Chambered R8 he has said sounds as good as his Burst.

11. 24frets

24frets Member

I'm glad y'all like them. I don't. I just don't get into the tone that well. I like a hollow body though.

12. CoreyC

CoreyC Member

I've had both. Different instruments, IMHO. I grew up with the 10 ton LP's, so that's what I like best, but the chambered is definately more comfortable, & sounds pretty good, too.

13. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I have tried the chambered and I don't like them. I've never had any issues with weighty Les Pauls in 30 years of playing - it's just par for the course when playing one as far as I'm concerned. I thought part of the appeal of the ES-335 was that if you didn't like the weight of a Les Paul, then you would switch to the lighter 335 or some other semihollow.

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no problem with them. I wish my 70s LP was a bit lighter.

15. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Play a chambered reissue and you'll rethink that entire first post.

16. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

nothing wrong with chambered les paul. its all boil down on what you are looking for or like.

Altough acoustically, i noticed, the chambered one has a slight less mid (more scoop mid) than the non chambered one. i like them both. although i love My non chambered r7 that weight at 9 pounds!

17. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I've only played one chambered Les Paul that belongs to friend, but I thought it was very cool and the weight was really comfortable.

If I had the funds to spare, I'd get one for myself.

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

I'll bet your audience couldn't tell the difference between a $300K 59 burst and a $500 Agile 3100. And neither could half the guitar weenies here.

You guys do take this guitar tone stuff too seriously. So do I, but at least I realize how silly that really is. On the other hand, what's more fun than the relentless pursuit of the Tone Grail?

19. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I prefer my pre-Fender Guild Bluesbird.....

20. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

I have a Gibson GOTW #14 that is chambered. It came with H90s originally. I replaced the H90s with Antiquities and it gets a great sound. Clean, clear, and resonant.

I don't mind playing it at all.