What is your opinion of the humbucker tone in the Suhr Pro Series?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dead of night, May 10, 2008.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi. I'm kind of a traditionalist, and feel that humbucking pickups belong on mahogany guitars, or mahogany guitars with a maple cap.

I'm not sure how humbuckers sound in the bridge position on an alder bodied guitar, like the Suhr Pro Series S1 and S2. Have you played the Pro Series or a Suhr Classic with a humbucker in the bridge position? What is your opinion?

In addition, I would love to hear your opinion of a humbucker in any alder bodied Strat styled guitar. Does it work for you? Or do you feel that humbuckers work best with mahogany/maple guitars?

2. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

are humbuckers with ash ok? let's ask eddie?

not being a jerk, just making a point.

3. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

well I believe a humbucker in a strat is a classic tone... and it's earned it's place along side any other traditional tone you care to mention... it's not the 60's or 70's anymore and times and music have changed... I personally think a HSS strat type guitar is the most versatile all round electric you can get....

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a little bright with my Suhr Pro, but sounds great with the treble knob and/or volume rolled back.

5. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Do you have a SSV in there? I wonder if the brightness is due to the pickup and another one would darken/fatten it up...

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it's the standard SSV. I always assumed it sounded bright to me because, like the OP, I'm used to HB's in mahogany, short scale guitars.

7. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

But what about the hollowbodies? They were there first!!

But yeah, the Suhr Standard and Classic I played the pickup in the bridge sounded brilliant. It does sound bright, with precedence in the upper mids, but it's just awesome, singing.

To be honest, I saw a Suhr Pro series right next to the regular series and there was no comparison, the pro series didn't look, feel, play, or sound as amazing as the Classic or the Standard I played, though no doubt it was still an amazing, high quality guitar.

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I love the sound of the DSV over the SSV in a HSS configuration. The DSV is not quite as bright and actually sounds more like a single coil than the SSV. I have an Ash standard with a SSH in the bridge position, but I'm going to swap it for the DSV very soon. In my other Standards, I have DSV-V54-DSV+; DSV-V60LP-DSV+; and a SSV-SSV. I don't think you can go wrong with the either the SSV or DSV.

9. dead of night

dead of night Member

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

10. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

I was not keen on the bucker in my s1 because I found it overley toppy with el84s and had the tone pot half to 2/3rds down mostley.

9/10 times I replace the pickups in my guitars with BKP Crawler's anyway so it wasn't a negative as such, it was just a different sound to what I prefer.

11. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

As versatile as the HSS is I find I don't use the humbucker too much.
    I have a DSH in my Pro S1. I prefer position 2 with an OD pedal for overdriven tones. The bucker is fairly bright but still a good pickup to have when needed.

12. Janne.M

Janne.M Member

Wowa!!

Now this is the first time I've heard this opinion...
    The Pro series are built by the same luthiers, with the same components, in the same factory, by the same methodes as the Custom ones.
    So if You order a Standard with the same options as a Pro model, You'll get the very same model...

I had the opportunity to play 2 Custom Standards yesterday, and apart from being 2 completely amazing guitars, the build quality and the sound quality were the same as my own Pro S3.
    Suhr Custom guitars are amazing value for money, and that says a lot about the Pro Series!

Janne

13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What Janne said.

14. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

+2! I thought the differences were supposed to be the Pros don't have a zillion options, a guitar with sort of "preset" choices, and therefore the cost savings.

15. aron

aron Member

>The Pro series are built by the same luthiers, with the same components, in the same factory, by the same methodes as the Custom ones.
    So if You order a Standard with the same options as a Pro model, You'll get the very same model...

Ask Suhr and they will tell you the same thing. There's no way absolute statements can be made by comparing 3 guitars. There are so many variations in wood alone that would make 3 identical guitars be very different. Not to mention hardware differences.

16. dead of night

dead of night Member

I would like to find a new Suhr with a DSV in the bridge position. Almost all of them come with an SSV these days. I think I'd prefer a little more sweeter high end offered by the DSV.

17. froglord

froglord Member

I've got an SSH (fairly hot: 13K DC) in the bridge position of my Standard and love it to bits. I agree with TimmyPage that it's got upper-mid prominence, and I'd say - although I'm no tone expert - that a Les Paul probably has more push in the lower mids.

What really amazes me is the amount of quack I get in position 2. Before trying this guitar I thought I'd get the most quack from a strat with a scratchplate and true single coils in the middle and bridge positions. Not so: the Standard has more quack than any other strat-a-like I've tried.

18. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

On a different note. I dropped a set of suhrs into a basswood MIJ Fernandes strat. 60lp's and a DSV HB. All three of the pickups are brighter than what I am used to in Fralins. But, I roll the high back a touch and it is seriously the most versatile guitar I own. And the nice thing is when I use a pedal that is set up a little darker and I want a bit more sparkle I can bring in more high end. Very handy.

This set up was meant to salvage a decent guitar with poor electronics. But now, it has me seriously looking at buying an S1 for the better build quality with that pickup configuration. I have Les Pauls and some single coil strats and tele's. But this has been by far the most versatile set up I have played.

The balance of the DSV with the 60lp's is really nice on an "on the edge of break up" amp. Clean to crunch just with the pickup selector. Pretty fun.

19. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I tried 2 Pro series - wasn't really impressed.

20. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

I'm considering a S6, so I'm reading up on the Pro Series.

What didn't you like about them?