What is your playing ability?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jwguitar, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Calebz

Calebz Member

To make it more confusing, our cover is based on the bullring brummies version of the song (halford/geezer/ward/the dude from Fight)

2. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

I was a pro for decades. I’m not very good really; but I know a lot of music of all different kinds; and could bring that knowledge to session work.

We know who the jaw-dropping players are. Folk like Plini are blazing new trails and taking the guitar to new and difficult places.

I’m not that, alas, though I did aspire to be it. My grasp exceeded my reach.

btw I hardly ever had to read the dots. Mostly I had to invent parts after being given chord charts and directions. “Make this part a bit more Nile Rogers here, please...” “...you know George Harrison’s sound on ‘Something?’...” etc and etc.

I got work far above my playing ability. Mainly because I could borrow from everyone from Stravinsky, Sibelius, and Shostokovitch, all the way back to Palestrina and Lassus.

I’m a journeyman player. A second division, second tier hack who once had a good cup run.

WordMan, JmpOne, Calebz and 1 other person like this.
  3. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I remember that group. They were on that Black Sabbath tribute album in the early 90s if I’m correct.

Calebz likes this.
  4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Been playing 50 years and made a bit of money from it, so I guess somebody out there appreciates my playing!

LoadedGoat, Calebz and jwguitar like this.
  5. Calebz

Calebz Member

That's the one.

We originally chose the song because we had a singer/harmonica player. He quit during the recording process, so I took a shot at vocals and lap steel just to see how it turned out.

6. Defendant

Defendant Member

Depends.

I’ve got good time, can get appropriate sounds, I can learn tunes quick and I know when to not play. That goes a long way.

My overall technique isn’t what it was when I was a teenage shredhead, but it’s pretty decent. I can do stuff similar to what players like Brett Garsed and Tom Quayle play, and I don’t tend to run out of licks or areas of the fretboard to play.

Rock -pro level for most rock styles, including classic-style metal.
    Blues -I lack that killer simplicity good real blues players have. I get rock-ish and wanky. And boy do I stink at slide.
    Funk/soul -pro level. I can play funk guitar and make it sound right.
    Jazz -I suck. I tried. It’s hard. I can get by on simple fusion.
    Country/rockabilly -I know a few cool licks but I’d be found out real fast at an actual gig.

Like many players of my generation I wish I'd spent more time learning songs and how to write than being a hotshot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  7. jwguitar

Slide guitar works well to replicate the harmonica part of that song. It’s something I never thought of but works perfectly!

Calebz likes this.
  8. neastguy

neastguy Member

I'm a solid 6.5 .. here is something I wrote a while back that I'm proud of 100$ yamaha guitar :)

erikzen and mattthehoople like this.
  9. erikzen

erikzen Member

In a room full of good guitar players, I'm usually the worst player. In a room full of average people, I'm usually the best player.

10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

This is a good reminder. I have moments where I fight this. But then I take a deep breathe and relax.

11. fogboundturtle

fogboundturtle Member

I am terrible player in relation to the # of years I've been playing. I have child hands and it's been my excuse all my life :p. (I know it's not but it makes me feel better to think it is)

LoadedGoat likes this.
  12. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I like being "farty" ... that is, more into tone and trying to make the guitar sound gassy.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  13. haslar

haslar Member

Same here.
    I get cramps and towards the end, though.

strat62 likes this.
  14. jwguitar

When I think of beer bottles being thrown at the group, I always think of the Blues Brothers when they in the country and Western bar!

15. LoadedGoat

LoadedGoat Member

Fair to middlin' after over 50 years of tryin'.

16. VigilAndy

VigilAndy Gold Supporting Member

I amaze myself sometimes. Other people not too much!

Calebz likes this.
  17. Strato62

Strato62 Member

been playing over 40 years - took some time off when the kids were young and started up again on a daily basis in 2001 - I am a way better guitar player than I was before that but do not think I will ever improve much beyond where I am now - an average player, pretty good at slide and improvising. Chord work could be better, I suppose. But I am content where I am at - in a "dad" band, having a great time doing that and at open jams, where I see some fantastic guitar players where I have learned a few things. on a 1 to 10 probably a 7.

18. trap

trap Supporting Member

I’m a legend in my own mind.

Larry Eh? and Mike_it_up like this.
  19. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

Better and better every time I play!!

20. halcyon

halcyon Member

Always improving, happily and enthusiastically. Extrapolating upon my practice logs for the past two years, I’ve probably spent 5-6k hours playing guitar in my life.