What is your preferred compressor WITH HUMBUCKERS?

Wooley

I have a few compressors, but I really don't care for my Juicer with my SG so much. My Carl Martin is great (really), but it has a hard-wired plug, which is fine when I have my powered board, but not fine if I don't feel like bringing it.
I am considering either a 4-knob Keeley (which I tried with a strat and just about pooped my pants) or a Barber Tone Press (which has quite a reputation), but the key is that I have switched to my SG full-time over the last 6 months or so, so I really need a 'bucker friendly Comp.
All opinions are welcome.

Burgs

EBS Multi Comp. Meant for bass but does a sterling job with guitars. It's a bit unsung, I reckon.

nnajar

either the demeter optocompulator or the caj vcomp- I have both and they are my favorite compressors for guitar.

N

dividedsky

Humbuckers are my compressor.

Bingo. For a long time I bought and sold tons of compressors only to discover that I didn't need them with humbuckers. That being said, I would highly advise you get a compressor that has an attack adjustment.

ed84246

diamond,...they make a excellent compressor
Diamond again - my juicer was too much when I bought a Bogner Shiva which already has a compressed tone. The Diamond fit perfectly and is fantastic with humbuckers - won't muddy them up or darken your tone.

Wooley

Bingo. For a long time I bought and sold tons of compressors only to discover that I didn't need them with humbuckers. That being said, I would highly advise you get a compressor that has an attack adjustment.

Yeah, that's the beauty of the Carl Martin, it is SO tweakable, it's just a wonderful (and I don't use that word often) pedal with a good buffer to boot.
However, can't take battery, so I can't use it on small gigs when I don't want to bring a powered board.

FWIW, I bought the Tone Press last night. I'll let y'all know what I think, but even if it ain't perfect, I suspect I'll probably keep it (I can always use it with other guitars).

thewex

plus the tone press has the internal colour control. i keep mine all the way on zero for that warm, vintage compression :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom