• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What is your secret to nice thick Strat tone?

Jonny D

What is your ingredient to a nice full sound from your Strat?

Amp? Pedal? Pickup? Strings? Pick?

Do tell.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Play hard and roll the guitar volume back a tad
+1

and tweek your amp a little - push the front end a little and you will have more control when you dig in. Back off you pick attack will bring in more articulation.

Dave1

When all else fails, try a giggity pedal. You can dial in the amount of fatness you want. It really works well.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
With a stock strat with stock single coil pickups I'll dial the amp up for a nice cleanish/crunch tone that sounds as fat and as full as I can get it, and then I'll use an overdrive/boost that has a good bit of mids (I like to use a Tubescreamer and/or Fulldrive 2) to fatten up the tone and give me a heavier sound with more compression and sustain.

Surfreak

A good compressor, withna fast attack and just a little sustain. I use the Origin Cali 76, basically a pedal version of the 1176 you find in every studio.

I leave it permanently on when I play my Strat.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Volume on guitar set to 7 or 8 for gainy tones that aren't solos. Wire it so the second tone affects the bridge and middle pickups and roll it back a little bit when needed.

Wampler Ecstasy pedal, gain set very low, bass rolled up a bit.

Jonny D

I personally fatten things with a Fulltone Fat Boost 2 and get the amp to where it starts to thicken...and stay away from my bridge pickup alone.

CubanB

There's quite a bit of fatness to a neck SC, it's just that it has more treble than a HB. Most of the suggestions above work well..

LJD

SSL5 bridge pickup, "neck on" mini toggle mod, ross type compressor.

Strat87

I start with a good strat, string it with 11-52s, tune it to Eb, and run through an OCD into a twin reverb.

Birddog

I've always liked my Les Pauls through a Fender Twin, but my Strats always sound more full through a Marshall (JVM & Haze 40) to me.

For reference, I'm talking about playing loudly, at practice and gig volumes. Something about the Marshall voicing just makes Strat tone POP for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom