What Is Your Sound...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Buck Private, Mar 21, 2019.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

Spector bass -> Ampeg SVT -> 810

I have an old 800rb that I really do like, and love a J or P bass as well. But when I go back to the Spector into the SVT, it just hits the spot for me.

Sacrifice likes this.
  2. amper

amper Member

Ernie Ball/Music Man StingRay fretless with piezo, Rotosound RS77LD Jazz Bass 77 Monel flatwound strings, Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, Boss AD-2 Acoustic Preamp (for a little more acoustic-y goodness), Boss BC-1X Bass Comp, (temporarily) tc electronic Spark booster, Boss BB-1X Bass Driver, Boss RV-6 Reverb, Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 12 combo.

I play primarily on the piezo pickups and I am almost exclusively a fingerstyle player. The BB-1X is set to give me just a touch of saturation without being actually overdrive.

This is not really a full-on rock rig, though it keeps up just fine in small clubs, and anything larger ought to really have PA support, anyway. I do not at the moment own a fretted bass, but I plan to get a new one.

My sound is very much double bass inspired, but also goes a lot bigger than any double bass ever will.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MoPho, somedude and Falsecrack like this.
  3. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

My sound is whatever I feel will make a song sound the best. I mostly use a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 and '62 RI Jazz Bass to dial in the tones I want.

[​IMG]

4. windmill

windmill Member

What I want my sound to be is much like the Jack Bruce Cream era sound.

No matter what I play, instrument or amp I always end up looking for that sound.

Currently trying to get it, playing Fender gear.

5. derekd

derekd Member

I try to be a bit of a chameleon as I've mostly played fill-in gigs the past few years.

Depending on the setting, P-Bass with flats or Dingwall (similar to J-Bass) with rounds for a brighter sound. Both through a MarkBass rig with 2x10s and usually a line out to the house.

Never have used pedals which is kinda odd for me since I use effects a good bit when playing guitar. I really like the sound of a good bass through a decent rig enough I never want effects.

cratz2 likes this.
  6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

I started on double bass in the classical/jazz realm, so my "sound" has a pretty heavy lyrical and counterpuntal feel to it, especially in my solo music. It's also what many players describe as "ultra clean," in that you can hear every note played. It cuts through, without being boomy.

In terms of gear, that changes based on the gig. For the freelance stuff when I'm playing in a blues band or a cover band (doing 90s alternative/grunge), I'll usually play a 4st bass through an Aguilar AG700 and two SL112 cabs, with effect pedals to taste. Theatre gigs require ultra clarity/precision, so I'll grab whatever bass is appropriate (electric, upright, both) and run it through a PJB Briefcase. My solo music is usually my Hilton Workhorse through a huge pedalboard into the Aguilar rig.

eigentone likes this.
  7. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

Mexican P-bass with rotosound rounds that are OLD
    Ampeg pf500
    1970 acoustic 4x12 cab (model 105 I believe)
    Nano muff
    Boss octave
    Occasionally a boss overdrive

I usually set the mid boost to bump the lower mids, roll down the bass to about 9:30-10:00, treble on about noon.

I get a growly, somewhat saggy low end, a little bit of mid punch, and good attack response out of that setup. I like that head a lot because it is very responsive to what your hands are doing, and takes varying string attacks well without too much tonal or volume swelling when I really dig in.

My cab is a gem. I’ve tried 10s and 15s but 12” speakers are where it’s at for me. Great lows but not super tight. The highs are fairly dark, and the mids can be tuned in to add some cut in the mix.

Pedals are just for occasional color, or if the guitar line is fairly thin and I need to add some thickness to the song.

I have had lots of other basses. Several years ago I sold them all but that p-bass. It’s just the right bass for me overall. Very versatile. I clean the strings from time to time, but I like “dead strings personally. The rotosounds still keep some brightness even when they are old. The sound isn’t that far off of flats, but with more dig and bite.

Edit- oh and I do have an upright. I rarely play it with other people though. It’s more of a for fun bass, but I have played some rockabilly with my neighbor a few times. Upright is a whole other beast though.

eigentone likes this.
  8. I R P

I R P Member

Short scale, flats, single pickup, tone rolled off or hollowbody, through a Baxandall tone stack and a tube amp. Cab is a 2x8. This is for recording/practice.

My intent is smooth, rich, mellow tone for melodic lines and a nice, natural, low end thump.

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

My original band is a hard rock/metal gig, so I keep it simple.

G&L L-2500 for the bass
    Line 6 Helix for effects
    Mesa Prodigy head
    Bergantino NV610 cab.

The main effects i use are the models for the Darglass BK7 distortion, the Klon model and a Electric Mistress Flanger on a couple of songs.

[​IMG]

10. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

The majority of my gigs as a bass player are played on a very early EBMM Sterling. I’ve had the same SWR Studio 220 head since 1992. I replaced a Goliath Jr. cab with an Epifani 212 in 2002.
    I play fingerstyle with a pretty heavy attack. I like to push the front end and I don’t care for a bunch of power amp headroom. I really don’t need to move a ton of air thanks to the PA so my rig ends up being a monitor as much as anything else. I was told once that I sound like the love child of Verdine White and Geddy Lee, and I thought that was a pretty high compliment.

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I spent a lot of years trying to figure out "my sound." I got my first bass because I thought SGs looked cool and I liked the Cream- but not so much Jack's sound. In my head, I liked what I thought was McCartney's Rick sound on "Helter Skelter;" then to find out decades later it wasn't McCartney and it wasn't a Rick... But I wanted that bright "present" sound, but a really full bottom end. Through the mid 90s and first half of the the 00s, I primarily used either my G&L L-2000 or my 65 Jazz Bass- with the neck pickup only.

My rig was either an old 80s Seymour Duncan 600x600 head or an SWR SM900 into either an SWR Triad + SWR 4x10 or an SWR 2x15 cab. I figured out I like the sound of 15s by accident. Whenever you see a 4x10 and a 1x15 setup, the 10s are always on top... That's just the way it's done, right? Every once in a while, someone would help me set up- and my Triad (15+10+horn) would get put on top- Every once in a while I would think my bass rig sounded awesome... One day, I put the two together- I was hearing more of the 15 with the 15 cab up on top.

These days I prefer a touch more subdued sound- but then again my main gig in the past 13 years or so has been a Rolling Stones cover band... More "thump" than "ping." So I've been using the T-Bird, mostly.

Recently, my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ was put back together- I haven't played it out yet- but I'm kinda digging it.

I was playing this the other night and it was swell- The G&L through the Boogie through the 2x15.

[​IMG]G&L + Boogie + 2x15 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    somedude and MoPho like this.
  12. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

I have a 400+ w/PH610 and an SVT/2x15e's.I like 'em both but one will be going n the block soon(downsizing).Stock USA Std P.,Rick 4001,and a Ray.Various other Mexicans/Frankensteins/Squires are heading in new directions soon too.

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I finally got the money to get this stuff right at the tail end of the "big, heavy bass gear" era. I've heard a lot of great sounding little amps that weigh as much as one speaker out of my cab.

If it was all about gigging, I'd be using the 2x15- just because it's easier to load into the car- 'tilt and push' rather than deadlifting the smaller cabs.

If I had my 'druthers- I'd get a couple of Neo loaded 15 cabs, or a Neo 2x15.

The 400+ is a lot of amp to be hauling around. I've considered paring down to a small rack for just the SM-900.

[​IMG]

14. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

The 400+ is light compared to the SVT.I recall watching guys hauling a B-3/Leslie up three flights for a one nighter years ago.No one ever cared about weight then.I can recall playing live through an 810 and wishing I had two of 'em.

somedude likes this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

YOUR sound will always come from your fingers or your pick and how you attack the strings. As far as effects, order and dynamics play a huge role. Perhaps you can give a more direct question as to what you are hoping to accomplish? For example, if your bass sounds boomy in your practice room, a LPF might be the cure...if you are finding your tone is too dry and stale, maybe some tubes in your signal path? Make sense...?

16. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I enjoy my Fender all-tube tone - no pedals.
    [​IMG]
    They sound great with my Gibson RD Artists from the late '70s
    [​IMG]

somedude and MoPho like this.
  17. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

'62 RI P with TI Flats -> compressor -> chorus -> Mesa D800+ -> Mesa PH215 or Subway 115
    I'm not a big grind/drive guy when it comes to bass tone and I'm happy with what I've got.

I also have a '74 RI J with TI Flats and a MarkBass LMIII going into Ampeg Pro Neo 115+210 and use a Broughton Hi Pass filter with that. This rig stays at home.

18. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

I think you mean a HPF to cut the subsonic freqs?

cosmicevan likes this.
  19. somedude

somedude Member

Bravo!

20. somedude

somedude Member

Weight wasn’t something I thought about until it started to become a thing on Internet forums. Now it’s become so dogmatic I feel like a red-headed stepchild for preferring something more traditional.