What it's all about...modelers, amp, whatever...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by david eaton, Feb 26, 2012.

1. david eaton

david eaton Member

I'm always second guessing certain choices and wondering if a slight change in gear would give me better results. So tonight during a break in the pre-service rehearsal the bass player turns to me and says, "you have the perfect sound for that part." all of a sudden it didn't matter what gear I was using, or what gear I wished I was using. Yeah, the right tone for the song...that's what I'm really trying to get.

2. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

Yup, and you want the right tone for every part of every song. So that's what it's all about, when you get right down to it, for everyone.

3. tweedster

tweedster Supporting Member

I find getting the right notes for the right parts is hard enough!

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

and more important when you get right down to it!

I have found no significant difference between using modelers and amps except that I find the modeler easier to set up and control... so it ends up sounding better in the house, where it counts...

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

my pref like this:

amps, profiler, modeler

6. Just A Box

Just A Box Member

my finances like this:

modeler, amps, profiler

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

I've been playing my V (Duncan '59/JB combination with 9s) recently and really digging it but on a whim last night I decided to plug my Explorer (Fralin HOs with 10s) into the Axe II for the first time.

Since they're both korina Dean's I expected them to sound somewhat similar but through my VHT/Fryette D60 preset the Explorer sounded much thicker and more complex. It was so fat and crunchy that I had an "Oh damn!" moment and immediately started thinking about how I could use that tone in a song.

I also realized that we spend so much time comparing one modeler to the other that an often missing part of the conversation is the effect that individual guitars have on the end result. We all acknowledge that with modern modelers that don't make every guitar sound the same that things like pickups, strings, and even cables can affect tone yet when we listen to a clip the only thing frequently discussed is which modeler is being used.

Ultimately I think David is right, having the right tone for the right song is what really matters and much goes into that, not the least of which is the "tone is in the fingers" component.

When I got my Explorer six years ago I was a little rusty and I struggled with it somewhat. Now that I've been practicing two or more hours a day for a couple of years now I felt much more comfortable and natural playing the Explorer and the tone I got reflected it.

All the modeler had to do was to get out of the way of me articulating my vision and it did so admirably. End result? The right tone for the right song.