What kind of a strat do I have??? (strat buffs)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spyeman, May 17, 2008.

1. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

Recently purchased a strat from a friend who really didn't know much about it, except that he switched the original pickups to Fralin Vintage Hots, which sound great. The neck plate is a four bolt with truss adjustment hole, and says Fender, then underneath that, Corona, California. The top left corner of the neck plate curves down (it is not square) and the part of the guitar where the neck plate attaches also has a rounded edge where the neck plate curves down - a cool look. Any idea what type of Stratocaster style this is, and is it more favorable or less desirable to have this Corona plate and neck attachement style? It plays great and is a keeper, just interested in the history. Thanks

2. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

ID by neck plate alone is tough. How about some pictures?

3. spyeman

My digital camera is not working right now. I can tell you that it just looks like a "standard" strat overall, the neck plate is the only differing item on it. I guess I should clarify in that I'm looking really only at what type of body it is, he told me the neck was probably from another strat, it's a 2002 (Z2******) neck with number on the back of the headstock, etc. So, I guess I'm just looking for info on the body style, and with such a distinctive neck plate, thought it might be an easy ID, but maybe not.....

4. nightbird

nightbird Member

I would venture to say its a newer Deluxe strat. The 08 Deluxe's have the exact plate you described.

5. nightbird

nightbird Member

Is there an extra hole on the back of the body because the slanted neck plate has a different hole pattern than the standard plate? They did the slanted plate on the Deluxe starting in 2002 so it could be the original neck.
    The Deluxe was a step up from the american strat which was a step up from the standard.

6. spyeman

Thanks for the info and comments. The back plate and the body are matched, there is no extra hole as the body is cut/angled lower at the top left of the backplate - its a cool look, in other words the body was shaped to match the curve of the backplate. For the four screws, the bottom two are right across from each other like any other strat, but the top left screw is lower than the top right screw because of the curve down of the backplate (hard to describe, looking for a picture on the net to copy here, but can't find one). So it looks like it may be a deluxe body which is of higher quality than a standard or american, cool, I'll do some research to see if I can confirm re the deluxe, thanks much for the help......