What kind of action do you like and why?

Preferred action?

• Low

Votes: 100 48.8%
  • Medium

Votes: 95 46.3%
  • High

Votes: 10 4.9%

• Total voters

sunking101

Wanting a low action waa the reason I started buying more expensive guitars. People who run high actions on premium guitars baffle me because any old cheap guitar plays ok if you're not too bothered about a low action...

Striving for a low action is when poor fretwork, bad neck angles and twisted necks rear their ugly heads.

:hide

noisebloom

Generally 4/64” on the high E side and 5/64” on the low E side are the lowest I set string height. I can sometimes get away with 4/64” on the low E side, but rarely without buzzing.

BaliGod

Silver Supporting Member
Easier to get leverage on strings when really cranking those bends or using heavy vibratro when the action is a little higher.

I can set all of my guitars except maybe my Telecaster, Les Paul and RG620 to such low heights I can breathe on them to fret a note, but I always back them out a bit where the angle of attack for bends and vibrato makes better sense and is smoother.

I can play just as fast with the action a little higher and perhaps even more accurate with the action higher as I can attack the strings better and don't have them slipping under my fingers when cranking bends and vibrato, especially when live and hands are getting sweaty.

I play with more of an attack then some danty, jazzy limp wristed fairy fare which is what you typically have or get on super low action jazz type set ups, but then again my normal, backed out a bit. setups are about as low as one can get on most normal guitars so we may all be talking about same playing height.

Be interesting to measure. Never have as I go by feel, but what I might consider low on some of my rigs is nonexistent on many other guitars so we may all be talking about the same general string height.

letterk

When I do a setup, I go as low as I can go without buzz on a hard pick. But I’m not too picky and often don’t even realized the action is high over time.

Tony Done

I suppose that my preferred action of acoustics, 4/64 and 6/64 at the body fret, would be called medium. I only play slide on electrics, and that same action height, or a little higher, works OK for me, and it allows slide without hammering the frets, with some fretting.

Strat58

Hi with a Gibson Les Paul bass 3/32 and treble 2,5/32 at the last fret with a relief about 0.10 , Fender relief 0.10 bass and treble about 3/32 sometimes treble little lower (2,5/32) at the last fret.
Peace Strat58

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
I like fairly low action, around 3/64 or so. I play 9s, don't use a whole lot of pressure, and have a pretty light touch.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Low.

Here's my Les Paul.

RF8.jpg

MylMoosic

As low as possible, and then brought up a tiny bit - like maybe less than a millimeter higher. I feel like the guitar resonates a bit better like this.

ross1shark

Silver Supporting Member
Low to very low. It generally necessitates installing a new nut on any new guitar. Sometimes, guitars with Floyd Rose systems will have to have the nut height altered. I don't have a "standard" set of measurements, though; I set each one as low as the guitar will allow without buzzing.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Playing mostly clean, I like strings to ring piano-like clear with no buzz so, on average, my guitfiddles usually end up on the high side of medium. But each guitar is different on how much I can get away with and some do end up lower than others.

Top Bottom