• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What kind of action does Angus Young use?

Goosio

Platinum Supporting Member
I've heard both the Young brothers sing the praises of high action, but I presumed they meant for those huge rhythm chords that Malcolm plays, not for Angus's fast solos. Meanwhile, my vibrato sucks, especially at the top of a bend, in part because the string tends to slip out from underneath my fingers. I'm thinking maybe a higher action would help me get a better grip on the string when I bend and give me a better shot at replicating Angus's vibrato. It might slow me down, but I'm not particularly fast anyway so maybe I don't have much to lose there. Does anyone know where Angus has his action set up? Thanks.

dazco

I don't see how high action will help you. It's not string helight that helps bends, its fret height. Personally higher action makes it HARDER to bend because the strings above the one i am bending tend to go over my finger and causes other issues including i hate the way that feels. You need higher frets to help your issue.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I agree that it’s easier to bend with taller frets, but since I have sausage fingers , higher action can help as well. For me having the low E no lower than 4/64ths and just a slight relief is what I need. There is a reason setups vary from person to person.

I don't see how high action will help you. It's not string helight that helps bends, its fret height. Personally higher action makes it HARDER to bend because the strings above the one i am bending tend to go over my finger and causes other issues including i hate the way that feels. You need higher frets to help your issue.
I would agree with this. Higher frets make vibrato & bending easier, and higher action probably wouldn't help you.

However, I would recommend you just take 5-10min every day with your guitar and just practice bends and vibrato- at different speeds, on different frets & strings, etc. Try 1/2 step bends & full step bends. Work on hitting the right note, in tune.

If you do this every day, you'll start noticing improvement after just a couple of days.

Doing this will make fret height and action less and less relevant to your vibrato & bends.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Size, density, texture and oiliness of fingertip flesh all make a difference to how well one maintains contact with the string while bending.
Higher frets and a slippery fretboard or scallops help a lot for some people.

Brutus

I've heard both the Young brothers sing the praises of high action, but I presumed they meant for those huge rhythm chords that Malcolm plays, not for Angus's fast solos. Meanwhile, my vibrato sucks, especially at the top of a bend, in part because the string tends to slip out from underneath my fingers. I'm thinking maybe a higher action would help me get a better grip on the string when I bend and give me a better shot at replicating Angus's vibrato. It might slow me down, but I'm not particularly fast anyway so maybe I don't have much to lose there. Does anyone know where Angus has his action set up? Thanks.
Remember, you can always fake it by sliding up a fret or two. Not quite the same thing but you’ll get that note.

It really doesn't matter where he sets his action as I'm sure your fingers aren't the same size as his. Just raise or lower your action in small amounts, bend the strings, evaluate, adjust accordingly, repeat. Stop when it does what you want. Seriously, it's not rocket science. You're just turning screws.

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
I find that using floating vibrato (where you take your thumb off the back of the neck and the only contact with the neck is the fingertip, also known as Claptons vibrato) helps with the Angus style, especially at the top of a bend.

Mpcoluv

I find a slightly higher action makes it easier to grab the strings for bending. To me a very low action makes it harder to bend the strings.

Trending Topics