1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What kind of fuzz works equally well for Lead AND Rhythm sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SmelltheGlove, Sep 27, 2006.

1. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

Lots of reviews I read for fuzz pedals say "perfect for leads," etc. What TYPE of fuzz tends to work both for rhythm (full chords, not just power chords) and lead sounds?

I'm thinking maybe a FuzzFace or a Tonebender, and use of the guitar volume knob?

It doesn't have to be ultra-"articulate" for the chord/rhythm stuff - in fact, I want my fuzzes to sound unquestionably like a fuzz pedal, not just a sort-of-fuzzy overdrive or kinda-fuzzy distortion. Filthy fuzz is good in my book, just want it to retain balls and not fart out.

And if you have any recommended favorites of the type of fuzz you mention, that'd be great.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Two (and I don't have a LOT of experience with fuzzes...yet, but some)
    that I can really recommend are

Analogman Sunface
    BYOC Fuzz Clone (you either have to build it yourself. Fun, but I wish it included more technical info and schematics)

Both do what you are talking about. Excellent I think for both leads and rythm (when guitar vol controlled. so far I usually leave the fuzz on pretty high, adjust from guitar vol.)

3. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The Throbak Stone Bender might work well for you. It's based on a Tone Bender MKII, but it has a pregain switch that helps keep the bottom a bit tighter and also a high cut switch, very well made and great sounding pedal. :AOK

4. zzz

zzz Member

I like my McFuzz a lot. Some say that its pretty closesounding to the Fuzzface.

5. idphys

idphys Member

+1 AM Sunface :AOK

6. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Analog Man Sun Face is VERY interactive to guitar volume if first in line and gets great chunky OD tones when rolled back and a great full lead when maxed.

RetoMan's Sybil is GREAT!

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

+1
    Also, the Roger Mayer Axis sounds good for both rhytm and lead, as it's rather clear sounding.

8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The key to using a fuzz as an OD, IMO, is the ability to clean up with the guitar volume. The two tranny circuits like the fuzzface do this well. Three tranny types like the Tone Benders don't. Also Ge tends to clean up better than Si. A Ge fuzzface (like the Sunface) is about the most dynamic thing ever put into a pedal. Ge fuzz can be a little too much into an amp that is already cooking, but can be suprisingly natural sounding into an amp that is clean or on the verge of distorting. I guess it also depends on what you consider OD. If you like lots of distortion when playing rhythm, then a fuzzface may not be for you, as they might clean up too much when you back down. If it doesn't clean up well then a fuzz can be a little too indestinct (a little too fuzzy) to be used as rhythm very often, except for a very particular musical styles.

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I actually think a Tonebender works great for rhythm. Just check out Jimmy Page on Led Zep I. That tone rules! Plus he used the volume on the guitar alot with the fuzz on...

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Oh yeah... listen to the lead sounds he gets from too... freaking great!

11. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

I'd have to say I got some pretty good rhythm & lead sounds outta the Hellbilly. Wish I hadn't sold the damn thing...

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I think there's still a 'Billy for sale in the emporium.

13. jhc

jhc Senior Member

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just to go a little off track too...

Keep in mind, you could get a decent (I hear the Behringer inexpensive ones are really good) EQ pedal, and put it behind the pedal, and use it in various ways...one way, notch it a littel to tailor for example the rythm sound, but also to lower it slightly....when you turn off the EQ you are at the solo levels, can be a wild sound, but when you go back to rythm, turn on the EQ and have it smooth it out.

Also can be used in front of the Fuzz...same thing. Or opposite, get the best rythm sound no EQ pedal on (with EQ in front of Fuzz) step on the fuss and it boosts it enough to get the solo sound, also tailored for what you like!

15. Douge

Douge Member

++1 on the Baja Tech Custom Da MOAF & Retroman Sybil!!

16. brown meadows

brown meadows Member

the behringer VD-1 is actually a decent pedal for $25. With a Bad Monkey pushing in front of it it can be a cool sounding combo. I have owned Way Huge (swollen pickle), Hermida, Sobbatt and old 60's Vox Tone Bender fuzzes that seriously kick butt. For a cheap price these'll do the trick and won't break the bank.

17. cameron

cameron Member

On Tonebenders for rhythm: I used a Soul bender for years as my solo boost pedal. It works really well for rhythm, if you roll the tone control back on the pedal. For leads it sounds best with the tone all the way up. (The tone control on these pedals is somewhat unusual in the way it changes the sound - it's more like a mid-cut, with the mids maxed out with the tone control all the way up). So I'd say the pedal works fine for lead and rhythm in the studio. But for live use, where you want to use it for lead and rhythm in the same song - not so good.

18. brown meadows

brown meadows Member

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

BJF PPF
    Skreddy mayo
    Skreddy ? lady
    Fuzz Factory
    Big Muff
    etc, etc...