What kind of gear did you have when you were 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Dallas

I was 23 a lot of years ago :(

I had a homebrew Strat that started out as a Squier with a plywood body. I gradually started replacing parts (body went first) until I ended up with a total bastard. I played that guitar until I literally wore it out. I still have it and still play it sometimes.

For an amp, I had a '64 Princeton Reverb that someone had chopped up and turned into a piggyback configuration. I wish I had never sold that one, but it was the 80's and I thought I needed something more brutal.

I remember having a distortion pedal of some description, but I don't remember what it was now.

epoch

When I was 23, I had the same stuff I had when I was seventeen, which was a Rickenbacker 360, a Peavey Supreme SS 100W head (hated it), and a Peavey 4x12 cabinet (hated it).

I obviously still have the Rickenbacker (I'm not a retard) but the head and cab are both long gone, having traded in for a Valvetronix AD60VT, which is sitting in my car boxed up this very moment to be shipped away. I also added a Schecter S1 Blackjack as a beater guitar later.

There's a 1x12 Lopo cabinet on its way from Georgia and a WGS BL80 speaker on its way from whereever WGS is. I'm currently on the prowl for an HT-5 head to go w/ the new cab :).

Maybe I go through stuff too quick? I'm only 27.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I had my '92 LP Studio, Takamine/Jasmine Acoustic, and a Boss GT-3. No amp.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Wine red (more like burgundy) Gibson Les Paul Standard (1980 model), Peavey Special 120 amp, Takamine acoustic...this was 1983!!!:AOK

Bottle_Rocket

Are you still living at your parents house at 23?

If so you need to get your own life and buy whatever you want or can afford.

At 23 I had my own apartment a Gibson LP and a Marshall. Loads of other crap as well. Dude you need to grow up already.

richey88

That would have been 1985......Dean Markley and Roland JC120 amps, Ibanez Roadstar II (purple!) and Jackson something or another (HSS EMG's also purple a trend developing) Tube Screamer and MXR Dyna Comp. I was in a cover band and INXS and The Fixx ruled! I only miss the DM amp.

panoramic

when I was 23 I had:
1973 Sg Special
1992 Fender Strat
rivera era champ
jcm 800
peavey classic 50
60's slingerland drums
musicmaster bass 78
some bad 4 track, i actually recorded like 2 records that year with this gear.

Hey GG,
I had a 1970 les Paul Custom and a fender twin and one distortion effect, it plugged into your guitar and looked like a small transforer that we use today to power the fx, but this had two roller knobs on it, volume and fuzz intensity.. Thats all I had for most of my life. Now is a different story, GAS has set in...LOL

tooter007

I had a 1984 Kramer Baretta and a Crate G40C amp, that's it....Funny how back then it was all I needed to play in a steady working band. That and cheap microphone and stand to bring to the gig and plug in.:huh

glaswerks

23 huh, that was a long time ago (31 years), but easy to remember.

A 1973 Fender Telecaster Deluxe (Brown with HBers)
A 1964 (maybe 65) BF Fender Vibroverb with JBL 15".

Thats it.

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
ADA MP-1,stereo tube pwr amp, multi effcts unit, 2 marshall 4x12 with EVM12-L and Greenbacks (ran the amp stereo and had volume independ control or the the EVs and GBs) LP Custom, Ibanez RG470, Fender HM Strat, L6-S, Ovation acoustic, Bassman combo and a few others. This was the mid 80s and knuckle busting rack setups was what I liked.

jimmyd16

At 23 I owned:

EBMM EVH
Strat Plus Deluxe
Les Paul
PRS

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Combo

teddy boy

Hmm... let me see!

'68 Fender Coronado II Wildwood
'95 Fender Photoflame Stratocaster
Tanglewood Ovation copy acoustic
Marshall DSL401
A load of vintage pedals....

Hmm, at 23 for sure I had:

a no-name MIJ acoustic (still have)

an early '70's Ovation Breadwinner solidbody electric (still have)

a 1960 Fender Duo-Sonic (still have)

a '60's Kustom 100 tuck-and-roll 100W head and matching 1x15 cab (still have)

I probably also had:

a Ric 430 (that I wish I still had)

a crappy no-name Sears electric I'd turned into wall art

a 60's or 70's Vega project guitar (that my brother subsequently swiped)

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I posted way back on this thread, but came across a picture on my friends My Space page.

Here I was at 22 or 23 at the beginning of the 80's (probably the last time I wore red pants btw). In the picture - I'm playing a 56' strat through my pedalboard (I guess you have to call them vintage effects) out stereo from a CE-1 into my Boogie (a 77' I bought new complete with dynamo labels on the back) and my Dumble Overdrive Special made for me by Howard himself. In the wings is my 64' Strat. Who knew back then that stuff would end up being the value of a house in many locations. Oh to be young again even with the red pants

Also check out that Alembic my bro Nolan is yielding. I think someone paid him a fortune for it at some later date. I saw him playing a newer Fender a few months ago and he's still playing his ass off.

mertzy

1975 Stratocaster
1999 Taylor 420-Indian Rosewood
Silverface Bandmaster Reverb Head
Ampeg 6X10 cab loaded w/ EV's
A Washburn powered peadlboard and
A Boss pedal in every color.

mertzy

KennyM - your tag says you sold your Dumble for $1,500, what did you pay for it? if you don't mind me asking.

JSeth

I'm so old - I think I replied to this post already, can't remember!!! LMAO!

I was 23 in 1974 - had a 1967 Guild D-40 and an early 60's Gretsch Country Gentleman, a 1958 Fender Pro amplifier, a 1948 Fender Lap Steel guitar and 1/2 interest in a Shure Vocalmaster PA system... a pretty nice collection, now that I write it!!!

it's music! Have fun with it! Play on........................>

N

nihtingale

Haha this thread really speaks to me. Im 21, I'm a full time university student and I've been playing in a band since I was 16. I always wondered if I had too much gear for my age. My roommate has one guitar and one small roland cube. But he's not in a band or anything and I have another friend who also isn't in a band but he has like 6 or 7 guitars and some pretty nice amps.

As for me though, at 21, I have an epiphone les paul (heavily upgraded, keep it for the sentimental value), 72' reissue thinline. I run 8-10 pedals and I play through a Marshall JCM800 2210 Canadian Edition = EL34's (made in 1989).
But I've worked so hard to get this stuff and alot of it I am not giving up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics