What kind of Gibson Les Paul to get?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmbandtimmy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I've been wanting a Gibson Les Paul for along time now! Since I'm still in professional school and can't afford to buy anymore than one more nice guitar I wanted to make sure that I was getting the best bang for the buck. Also, I want to do this before I have to start paying off my loans, otherwise it won't get done for awhile :)

I was originally thinking about a Les Paul Standard with a 60's neck. But, after I got to reading a lot of the threads it seemed that the 58's and 59's might be the better way to go. Unfortunately, they don't have any of those around here and I was wondering if it would be better just to save up a little more cash and go that way?

I would appreciate any input! :)

On a side note: I always used my buddies Les Paul in our band. One day I accidently dropped it and broke the neck, which, had already been broken and repaired. But, it still wasn't sweet! :( After paying for repairs for that I am a little weary about borrowing it. So I think its time to get my own :)

2. LTE

LTE Member

With the way Gibson is treating dealers (even employees), buy a used LP if that's what you want.

I have owned a studio for years and it's a great guitar. I think the Classic is also a great buy.

If you can settle for an alternative, check out a Heritage (those are built by the guys who originally built Gibsons) or a PRS.

There's also loads of small luithers out there making guitars that will smoke any of the above.

Let us know what you decide on.

And post pictures!

:RoCkIn

3. AD

AD Supporting Member

The new VOS line seems to be a slam dunk for Gibby. I bought a '58 RI and it's just killer.

To me, the '58's are a better bang for the buck. Bigger neck and about $1,400 less. If you prefer slimer necks, check out the '60's RI.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Consider a LP copy. Check my review of the Tokai Love Rock. 1/4 of the price, and incredible for the price.

EP

5. Thwap

Thwap Member

If you're going to get an LP, the standards are nice enough, but for the money, the R7's and R8's IMO are the best bang for the buck. You'll have a much better chance of getting a really nice guitar for a couple hundred bucks more than the standards.

The necks are a little larger than the USA standard 50's neck, so that could be a problem. But the bigger necks are easy to get used to, and you really get a much better guitar.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

7. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey thanks guys for the replies! I will definitely post pictures after I get it. :D I probably won't get one until July when Summer session ends so I'll have time to really find the best deal!

Also, I have about average size hands, maybe a bit on the small side so the fat necks just worry me a little. But, if I can get used to it I think I am probably going to go with a R7 or R8 after reading your recommendations and a lot of previous posts.

That R7 in the emporium looks sweet, but I really want a burst. Otherwise that is one awesome guitar!

I also have looked into Tokai Love Rocks and considered buying one at one time. They had a lot of great reviews and the esthetics were very similar to a Gibson. Plus I wouldn't be as nervice to take it to the bars and play. However, I've always wanted a Gibson. Nice review of the guitar though! Sounds like its really nice :) If money ends up being tight this looks like a very viable option!

This place is so awesomel! Its really cool to get input from players that have gone through gear and know their stuff! Thanks again for your replies!

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

FWIW, I have smallish hands, and I have a production standard with a lovely flametop, and a fat 50s neck. It feels great to me. I never liked fat necks until I got a MIJ Strat with a baseball bat for a neck, and I got used to that pretty quick. The LP was even easier. Got mine from Dave's in 2002 for around $1600. I love it.

9. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Scott, that great to know! I am thinking that an R8 might be in my near future :) BTW, I just checked out you CD on CD Baby. Awesome tunes! :AOK

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Buy used.

Seriously, what are you getting "new" that you're not getting used? A warranty?

I like chunky necks, so a production Standard post 02 with a "50s neck" or a Historic. The Historics are the cat's pajamas.

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

dmbt,
    Thanks! I appreciate it.
    I have to say I agree with The Golden Boy on used vs new. I have never, in 38 years of playing, used the warranty on a guitar. I bought mine new, for no other reason than I never found one used that was what I was looking for. Plus the killer pic Dave had up would get out of my mind LOL I don't regret it, but I usually go for used myself. Takes longer to hunt one down out here in the middle of the cornfields, though :)

12. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Yeah, I am definitely going to look for one used first! That should save me a few bucks. :)

I know what your saying about the cornfields :) I'm in Nebraska. I usually head up to Omaha when I look for gear. They actually are starting to get a lot of good stuff. Deitz music is a Bad Cat and Carr Dealer and have a lot of "booteek" pedals. So does Russo's. They have Matchless, Orange, Mesa, Fender and a few other big name brands, plus they have Keeley pedals.

However, GC in opening up here in Lincoln soon. I'm actually a little excited because I always hear of people getting some really good deals here and there. Plus it will give me a place to try out a bunch of gear :)

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

There used to be a cool shop in downtown Lincoln in the 80s. Several floors, and lots of used guitars. I stupidly traded a killer white SG for an old 70s Strat because I needed a spare strat. The Strat was actually cool, too, but the white SG was really nice.
    Too many brain cells gone to recall the 2 bars we played at. One was a big biker bar sort of on the west end, maybe. We opened for Black Oak Arkansas there. The other was more on the East end.
    I haven't been to Deitz in a dozen years or more. There was another smaller shop south of I80 that had a few nice used guitars long ago. Back in those days, there was a lot of used gear around here, too. But these days, hardly anybody, including me, trades anything in anymore. You can get more selling it yourself. Good for the seller, but sad there's no longer a pile of cool used stuff in the shops. There is a small shop in Cedar Rapids that in the 70s used to have a back room just for used guitars and amps, and it was always full! It doesn't even exist now.

14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

+1 for the '58 Historic RI. It is good bang for buck new or used. Having replaced the pickups and electronics, it now sounds every bit as good as my Don Grosh Set Neck (fantastic LP style guitar). It sounded pretty good before the upgrades too. Never thought I'd love or buy a Gibson (was strictly a boutique guy for years), but it's a really fine guitar. I'm not very picky about necks and tend to believe that, if you have good technique, your hands will usually adjust to most good necks, fat or otherwise. However, my 58's neck is unusually fat (I've measured and compared it to measurements of real 58 necks) and it gives me a little discomfort in the upper fretboard. If you need to play fast, intricate stuff up there, a particularly fat '58 could slow you down slightly. As with the original bursts, neck measurements do vary slightly from guitar to guitar, even of the exact same model.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

57 or 58 historic reissue.:BluesBros

16. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Used Historic R7 (maybe an R8 if you can find a good one in your price range). Your average R7 goldtop should run you $1700-$2000 depending how delusional the seller is. ;)

17. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

18. bscepter

bscepter Member

+1 on the R7 or R8. Our other guitar player has an R7, and it's fantastic. The Custom Historic Gibsons are in a completely different league than the regular Gibson USA models. They're still pricey as hell, but not that much more than the regular versions. The long tenon alone is worth the price of admission.

By the way, if you're worried about the fat neck, check out the special run they're making for the Guitar Center. It's an R0 - but it's a plaingtop version, so you aren't paying another two grand for a flame maple top.

19. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Best bang for buck LP is certainly a used R7 or R8, however, I'd like to vouch for the Slash signature LP. I've had one for about six months now, and it's the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, it's my number one.

You find very few Slash LP's on the used market - because no one who has one is letting it go. It's got an in-between sort of neck - thicker than a slim profile 60s neck but thinner than the baseball bat chunky necks. The neck has an asymmetrical curve, so from the first day you pick it up, it feels like you've had it for years. Also, the acoustic piezo pickup lets you explore a whole world of different tones from a "normal" LP.

Just a thought.

20. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey guys, thanks again for the replies! That Gibson from GC looks sweet! I just found out that the GC here is opening up on the 15th. :)

The Slash model looks awesome, but I doubt I will find one used like you said. Plus, it would probably be more than I have to spen :(

How much should I be looking at spending for a used burst R8?