what kind of glue to hold a nut in place?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6789, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I use the thick super glue for the extra few seconds it allows for positioning, a couple of drops with no squeeze out. And yes Walter, no tambourine players allowed.

2. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Two drops of super glue here.

3. Oatie

Oatie Member

Bob Smith Industries BSI-157H Maxi Cure/Insta-Set Combo Pack, 1,500 cps, 3 oz. Bottle with a bottle of spray quick set. Don't use the quick set spray, just the glue. This is one of the best super glues available, amazon has it. I always use a new toothpick to apply what I need in the right spot. 3 drops on the rosewood side and nothing on the bottom. This way a slight tap will remove it in the future.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Khromo likes this.
  4. jkats

jkats Member

Couple of drops of Elmer’s just to set the nut in place and make it easy to remove when needed.

weevilcaster likes this.
  5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nice nine year necro-bump :eek: but still interesting for the glue brand. i've more recently been using the gluboost stuff and like it a lot, they have formulations made specifically for finish drop-fills and their accelerator goes on dry and doesn't cause the white foaming, meaning you can spray it right on a drop-fill with no fear.

their "thin" is sort of the "regular" CA you'd use for stuff like gluing on a nut. (discovered the "fill & finish" variations are tops for that but not for regular superglue tasks.)

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I like superglue. It has a lower shear strength than regular Elmers or the likes. You can tap the nut sideways if you need to remove it. Titebond is good but sometimes it is too strong and the nuts breaks of and then out come the chisels.

Chris Scott likes this.
  7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

I use either cyano or LMI glue, with Cyano being probably the most frequently used. As with anything else in guitar repair/building, a good plan and a steady hand are imperative when using cyanoacrylate adhesives.

The LMI glue dries hard (and imo is arguably the best water-based adhesive available outside real hide glue), so anyone claiming it's a tone-suck might want to think again.:cool::D

8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

:aok

...and almost always when someone slathered the entire contact patch with the stuff....hence the "saw through the center and collapse it" royal pita repair procedure.

K-Line likes this.
  9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

works out as all the toothpicks I have at home are made from tonewood
    I wont dig steak or chicken out of my chompers with anything less