What kind of Mic for Guitar Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matt1969, Mar 28, 2019.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Member

Beyerdynamic M88.

:beer

2. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Sen E906, the 609 isn't worth it..
    Or a Heil PR30 (I'd take the Heil over the 906 personally)

Engineer0127 likes this.
  3. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

No matter what you get, at some point you should have and use an SM57. Use it to the point that you fully understand why it laid the bedrock for guitar micing in the U.S. For $100 you owe it to yourself to own it if you already don't IMHO.

therealjoeblow likes this.
  4. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Tried the e609. Didn't like it at all. Back to SM57.

5. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

TUL G12. You will never use anything else after this one.

6. beej

beej Supporting Member

Fwiw, one afternoon I tried a 57, 58, 906, and PR30 on two cabs I gig with and dialed them all in. I got 95% of that sound with the Blubox. I can't imagine using a mic live again, unless it wasn't functioning.

7. Alton

Alton Member

Balancing act = sound - price - durability

These are the ones we have the most experience with. The cost of the E906 has limited us to 2 acquired in the past year. These are all used as stage mics.

With the above criteria history/experience shows (main characteristic first)
    Sennheiser E906 for sound. Spendiest and best sound of the 3.
    CAD TM411 for price & sound. Least expensive and a definitive bargain.
    Shure SM57 sound & price & durability. Affordable middle price of the 3.

SM57 has longevity & durability. Kudos for wide range of capabilities and effective utility From cymbals to kick drums to sax and other horns, vocals. Not perfect on all but always a good performer.

Sennheiser E906 has a bright future for guitar work. It's utility needs to be explored. I am a fan of Sennheiser vocal mics and in particular the the 845 model and the 945 model due to their tighter cardioid pattern, similar to the E906.

The Connaeut Audio Devices more widely known as CAD microphones are sadly underrated yet great performers. The TM411 sounds quite similar to the SM57 in a package of ~ 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the SM57 making it much less obtrusive on stage. We've also used them as drum mics which is what they were ostensibly designed for and in a pinch one was used as a vocal mic with surprisingly good results and kept right up with a Shure SM58. When found on sale at MF you can normally snag one at about $40. A lot of great performance and utility for little coin! As far as durability been using them rather steadily for about 5/6 years now and they have fallen, been dropped and stepped on and keep on rockin'! At first I thought their mic clip design was rather iffy but it has proved itself to be both functional and durable. This definitely one of those rare great bargain mics. We have 4 of them in the mic case.

8. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Trivia: The presidential podium has employed a pair of SM57's with foam pop/wind filters as long as I can remember. It's a very versatile mic and one of the industry standards for mic'inc guitar and drums for a long time. I'll admit that the Sennheiser E609 and E906 may sound better for a given amp/cab, but you can't be far wrong with the nearly indestructible SM57.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  9. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

That's what I always use and have been totally satisfied.

10. Dale

Dale Member

11. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

57. It always just sits in the mix better than mics that are flatter EQ'd. I like the suggestion of an IR loader better, though. There's a ton of variables in micing a cab. A half inch one way or another can give some some rather different results. IR's are totally consistent.

12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

SE Electronics SEX1R

13. willyboy

willyboy Member

If you want least expensive tried and true bullet proof then you can't do better than a 57. There's a reason why pretty much ever producer and engineer have one of these on a guitar cab.

I like the 57 but my preference if I'm only using one mic in a live situation is my 906. Great mic and a bit more natural/less mid forward than the 57. The 609 is pointless IMO as the 906 has a switch to give you that exact sound or two other eq curves, so the 906 is far more versatile. The other benefit to this mic is that if stage space is an issue you can just hang it on your cab and not use a mic stand which I often do.

14. rolsen

rolsen Member

Been said already, Heil PR30 (actually shorter body PR31) rules over a 57. It's like a condenser with the benefits of a dynamic, tuned for midrange instruments. Check out shootouts on YT.

15. haslar

haslar Member

I own both a 57 and a 906.
    Much prefer the 906, even though
    I now use a Two Notes Cab M.

16. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

Before you do, reconsider the 906. Much better sounding mic and I sold my 609 after comparing the two.