What kind of pedal do I need?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by robbyb, May 15, 2008.

1. robbyb

robbyb Member

Ok, so I'm in the marked for a new pedal, but I don't have it exactly narrowed down. I'm happy (for now) with my normal overdrive tone so I would be looking into modulation type pedal. I'm not very well versed in these sorts of pedals. I've been thinking either delay (MXR CC, DD-7, etc.) or phaser (script phase 90, etc.), but I want some more ideas. I want a versatile pedal that I will not just be using 1% or less of the time.

I mostly play rock, some rythm but mostly lead; led zepplin, rolling stones, pearl jam, radiohead, pink floyd, etc... and original stuff, if that helps. I play mostly strats with a 535Q, Keeley BD-2, FD-2, and Blues Deluxe amp.

Reinforce my idea of a phaser or delay, or suggest something awesome...

Thanks

2. funkycam

funkycam Member

both! delay before phase so the repeats are modulated

suggested phaser: maxon ph-350.
    great phaser that can do a nice leslie type tone to boot...

re delay, I only have a use for delays that have tap tempo modes & I use a dd6

3. 4styx

4styx Member

A good delay is essential in my opinion.Cmatmods Deelay and MXR CC are good choices,small,inexpensive,sound good and are easy to use.

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I'd go delay. You'll probably use it way more than phaser.

5. gibson60

gibson60 Member

i play the same type of music. i had a boss phaser in my rig for a long time but only used once a night (during the intro of an original song). other than that i NEVER turned on my phaser. at the same time, i use my delay in almost every song as im the only guitarist in my band and have lots of space to fill.

get a good delay and put it in your effects loop if you get od/dist from your amp

6. robbyb

robbyb Member

So how would the Cmatmods deelay compare to the MXR CC... and for that matter, the DD-7? I listened to some demos of the cmatmods and it sounded really good. The DD-7 looks more versitile, but maybe I don't want all those digital delay options.

7. robbyb

robbyb Member

How do you like the retro sonic delay? It might be a little out of my price range but it caught my attention...

8. richey88

richey88 Member

I am finding that a Phase 90 on 8 o'clock helps your lead jump outta the mix........I use it a lot but almost so's ya wouldn't know it......

9. gibson60

gibson60 Member

I love the RS delay. It's very warm, full, and natural. It sounds great with overdrive. I know what you mean though, it is definitely pricey. The way I justified it to myself is the fact that it has the long/short switch. My amp doesn't have built-in reverb so I wanted a pedal that could do long delays for solos or shorter delays for more of a reverb thing. I also wanted something analog, true bypass, and simple. The RS made the most sense. I looked at a bunch of delays including the CC, DD-3, Keeley DD-3, Ibanez AD-9, Maxon AD-999 (or whatever), Line 6 DL4, DD-20 and I decided that the Retro Sonic fit what I needed best.

I could have gone with a Carbon Copy and then some sort of reverb pedal. That would allow me to tweak things a little more but also would have been another pedal to fit onto the board. It's worked out well so far.

10. robbyb

robbyb Member

Yeah, I've heard very good things about the Carbon Copy but never played one in person. My amp has reverb (pretty good reverb in my opinion) so maybe this is a good option...

11. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

if your playing that blues deluxe with the stock speaker i'd change that out before i'd do anything else.
    A Cannabis Rex would do your tone a big favor.

12. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

Actually i would go for a chorus before either delay or phase. Its great for 70's stuff that needs atmosphere. Thickness rhythm and lead work and most of all; sounds great at minimal settings.

I read somewhere in the emporium Voodoo labs analog chorus is going for $99 brand new A STEAL!

13. robbyb

robbyb Member

I guess I just don't hear much chorus in the stuff I listen to... or for that matter, the original stuff we do. But I guess just because I don't hear it, dosen't mean it's not there... or something like that.

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

You need a phase AND a delay if you are playing floyd. If you get a decent analog style delay, you can create some cool "spaceship taking off" sounds when you twist the knobs. That would be good for the Radiohead stuff.

Check out General Guitar Gadgets. They offer a great phase and delay kit. The delay does the spaceship sound and more. Very analog sounding for a digital delay.

Good luck.

dk

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

my first delay is/was a DD-20, which I love dearly. It has a million options and settings on it, and I was clueless about it. The only delay type tones I initially knew what to use this effect for were Welcome to the Jungle and tempo'd delay in the style of Run Like Hell by Floyd or similar.

But man, I didn't realize what delay can do. How huge it can make your sound. What a little slapback or some untempo'd delay can sound like, especially on a guitar solo.

I recommend the DD-7 (or a DD-20 if you want to go that route. Or even the TC Electronics or Eventide delay if the DD-20 route is too limited for you).

Check out this link for a small sampling of different delay settings
    http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4630

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

if its within your means try a MoogerFooger murF. Its a very complex pedal BUT I've dialed in chorus, univibe, seekwah, arpeggiator & tremolo sounds out of 1 pedal and with an expression pedal you can do some serious leslie sounds as well :)

If you mix the murf with some sort of delay & chorus ie: Electro harmonix Deluxe memory man with or w/out hazarai, The MXR carbon copy, Malekko e600, Boss DD7 & DD20. the texture would be mucho grande :)

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'd go with a delay first, only because I find I use that a lot more than phase, but I definitely love my phasers! I've had a couple analog delays, and prefer the DD-7's analog mode to them because there's less noise and it's a bit cleaner on the darkening repeats. And even if you don't use the modulate or digital modes on there, you have the extra treat of a 40 second looper to sketch out song ideas with yourself.

Phasing... I have 4 phasers in my possession at the moment, but there are 2 that are on the board. The Red Witch has a watery, uni-vibe-ish quality that really is great for Floyd and early Rush. The other I have on there is a Sobbat PB-2 and that takes over your sound a bit more and really turns the churn on. Almost a slight flange-ish swoop in 'Phase 2' mode that's extremely addicitve to play with, without being as over the top as a real flanger can be. A big nod goes to the Maxon PH-350 as well that's somewhere in-between those 2, although it adds a bit more hiss to the signal than either one of those.

-Ben

18. robbyb

robbyb Member

So if it were between a MXR CC and a CMATMODS Deelay, what would be your guys deciding factor? Below, it looks like the MXR wins on paper...

MXR -Analog - Modulation - Sort of True Bypass(?)
    Deelay -Digital (Analog feel) - True Bypass

...but since it's unlikely I will get ahold of a Deelay to try before I buy, I can't discern the intangibles. Anyones opinion???

Robby