What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been out of the loop for 10 years or so using up the big bag of Jazz IIIs I bought way back when.
What’s new in the world of picks? I like em small and stiff.
I have a tusk buffer I love, but it won’t be easy to replace so I’m looking for some to have for when I leave the house with gear in tow.

I remember liking planet waves black ice picks when I was gigging, but I burned through one every week.

Should I just stay with Jazz IIIs??

Attachments

Badtone

Silver Supporting Member
If you like them, don’t change. Pick technique is so critical I think it’s unwise to change the mojo. In 45 years of playing i changed from thin to medium about 40 years ago once I knew what I was doing (at I least I think so) and stuck. I did go to Dunlop yellows about 20 years ago as they were the same feel to me as Fender medium, but lasted longer. YMMV.

Sp8ctre

If you like them, don’t change. Pick technique is so critical I think it’s unwise to change the mojo. In 45 years of playing i changed from thin to medium about 40 years ago once I knew what I was doing (at I least I think so) and stuck. I did go to Dunlop yellows about 20 years ago as they were the same feel to me as Fender medium, but lasted longer. YMMV.
I agree with this. I used to swap picks every time I bought a few. Found out is was not such a great idea. The only time I change now is between acoustic and electric due to string gauge issues.

My go to now is an Ibanez Steve Vai. They are a nice thickness and they have a soft grip stuff on them.

Guitarworks

Can't help ya. A jazz III is the only short & stiff pick I bother with. Ordinarily I like 'em 351 shaped & stiff, so I could name you a bunch of those.

JosephZdyrski

Dunlop Prime Tone 1.4 mm

Or Jim Root Signature Jazz IIIs when I want something bigger and easier to hold. They are basically a regular large size pick with the Jazz III tip.

Qstick333

Celluloid medium's until my hands get sweaty...then tortex .73

I don't know why, but when my hands are dry, I have trouble with tortex. Love celluloid :)

ggman946

Jazz III on electric. I've tried this shape with a variety of materials, but keep coming back to the standard plastic. Dunlop grey .73 or black 1.0 if i'm on acoustic.

Trending Topics