What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aynirar27, Jul 12, 2019.

1. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Herco Flex 75s.

I just got a package of Dunlop grippy things... they're nice, but still prefer the Hercos. Even though they're actually Dunlops. But they're Hercos.

fescue likes this.
  3. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Red Bear, Heavy and Xtra Heavy

[​IMG]

4. pattste

pattste Member

Dunlop Jazz III

I play hybrid and I use the red ones on electric, except when playing jazz, then I use the black ones. I use the Primetone version on acoustic.

They last forever but I have a lifetime supply of them just in case Dunlop stops making them or changes the formula.

5. dconeill

dconeill Member

Use what works for you. Easy and cheap to experiment with others.

My usual pick is a Dunlop heavy black celluloid teardrop-shaped pick (like the old Gibson GG50), model 485R03HV. Hard to find, I buy them directly from Dunlop.
    Alternative is a Pickboy PB322P100, a 1.0 mm thick teardrop that feels and sounds similar to the Dunlop.
    I also sometimes use Dunlop tortex teardrops if I need a harder attack or brighter sound (model 413R[thickness]).
    All of the above are the same teardrop shape, like the old, out-of-production Gibson GG50.

I used to use Dunlop JazzTone 407, shaped more like the standard Fender celluloid pick but thicker. I guess I still use these from time to time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Id been trying a mess of schmancy picks. I like jazz iii control but not the tone, so I got jazz iii tortex in super stiff but, lost some of the accuracy.

I recently ordered a bunch of strings from Strings and Beyond and they included a few picks with their logo. I could not believe how incredible they were. As it turns out they are just celluloid heavy picks in the regular fender shape. :anon

So Im back to "regular" picks. I ended up with dunlop ones cause they had a bag of 72.

8. Road King

Road King Member

Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14mm for electric
    Fender medium for acoustic

9. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

Just started using Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL 1.38 mm picks. Love ‘em.

10. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I mostly use the picks that Sam Ash uses in the store here locally. I usually grab a dozen or so on my way out. They work just fine for me.

aynirar27 likes this.
  11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

12. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Same here, for probably going on 10 years or more.

13. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

Interesting how we all look at this. I have 10 or more that stay out and lay on the computer desk right next to where I play. I pick up a different one every night. EVerything from my old standard, the thin small nylon Odessa picks, to the John Petrrucci pick, to several Dunlop Jazz 205s (small and SUPER fast), Vpicks, Greenies (jazz sized Tortex, Eric Johnsons pick, about 3 different thickness of Pickboy Edge Carbon Nylons (great overall pick) Jazz 3s, Jazz 2s, some with rounded points, some with sharp ones. In the Tortex jazz size picks I prefer the sharper pointed ones, but they get better once you wear the tip down a little.

My favorites are the green Jazz 3 Tortex ( 88mm) with pointed tips, the Jazz 205s and overall favorite for the last couple years is the John Petrucci Signature Jazz 3 pick. It has both grip and rip. But I still use picks situationally. Depends on what guitar and what style I’m playing.

Badtone likes this.
  14. dgarrett89

dgarrett89 Member

Redbeard Big Jazzer. I've been switching back and forth between two of them for over a year now. Never been so happy. They almost make the strings sound a gauge heavier. Also, they play like butter.

15. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I was already using thick picks before I tried V-Picks, 1.5 mm Dunlop Derlin so it wasn't an enormous change to me. I did get chirp but found a slight change in angle helped a lot. I simply find thicker picks more comfortable to hold so it was worth it to me to make the little change.

There's no right or wrong to pick preference. We like what we like and that's why so many different ones are made.

I have a weird thing with smaller picks myself, like Jazz IIIs(even the XL is too small to me), I can't shake the feeling I'm going to drop it. I know there's plenty to grip on and I have a good grip, I also feel like they are great for precision but I can't shake the feeling. Even I can't explain why lol.

16. Gizmot

Gizmot Member

I use either V-Picks or Gravity Picks. These are made of plexiglass and they don’t flex thereby delivering more low end and dynamic range. I also appreciate the fact that they’re easy to grip and don’t slip.

17. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Yeah, picks are quite an important part of your dynamics & maybe tone.
    Don't change unless you have a problem. I've used Jazz IIIs for long & now use a Planet Waves Nylpro.
    It's essentially a Jazz III but slightly bigger & with some grip.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pla...AUIESgC&biw=1600&bih=722#imgrc=8-3FcvBKtZtyTM:

Badtone likes this.
  18. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

heheheh ; )

Just kidding dude. I use Fender heavy picks and they have to be the green California clear ones. Not sure why, but any other color sounds different to me.

aynirar27 likes this.
  19. muku

muku Supporting Member

i use what GD guitar players uses Blue Chip

20. shane8

shane8 Member

Dunlop nylon .88

not too lite

not too heavy

just right

VooDooClown and Badtone like this.