What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aynirar27, Jul 12, 2019.

1. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

I use the Ultex Jazz 3 XLs. They sound great, last forever, and are about the size of a normal pick so I don’t lose them all the time.

2. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

V picks, Traditional, 2.75.

3. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Member

This 100%

4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I really like Gravity Sunrise Mini with master finish (unpolished edges). I wish they weren't so darned expensive... around $5 each. But I love them. The color makes them easy to find if you drop one.

[​IMG]

5. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Heck yeah. I've got a mason jar half full of my "let's try this pick" experiments dating back to 1984. The winner for electric is Dunlop nylon 0.88, and Fender mediums for acoustic. Still, I pour out the mason jar every year to see if can find a new favorite.

chumbucket and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  6. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for V-picks. Easy to hold onto and really have a different tone, fat and musical. Just Google V-picks, they have every size and thickness imaginable.

7. Exodus5

Exodus5 Supporting Member

8. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

White celluloid fender mediums ones
    Dean Farley told me they have better tone - the white ones
    Seems true

9. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

Red Bear, Extra Heavy "Classic".

ShredSquatch likes this.
  10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

11. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

When not using my teeth I prefer a 351 shape. I switch between lead and rhythm, and that shape lets me use the point for strumming and the rounded edge foe single note work.

DiNiro likes this.
  12. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

I like Delrin. Ernie Ball Everlast usually. However the Dunlop Ultex Sharp is a good one as well.

13. notyalcer

notyalcer Silver Supporting Member

I've been using Chicken Picks for over two years and they are the best I've used in 25+ years playing. I use the 2.6mm standard size.

Just today, I took some 180 grit sandpaper and sanded the tip area a little bit to roughen up the surface. This worked as I had hoped, taking off the slightly too bright plasticky attack they have. Really the only minor complaint I've had with them. I have not tried sanding them thinner...I like thicker picks for the control they give.

14. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

I use Adamas graphite 2.0mm on electric, and a bunch of different ones one acoustic, depending what style or sound I’m going for.

15. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

I’ve found mostly obnoxious chirping results with anything other than regular nylon or tortex picks. I wonder if my technique just sucks or what. Guess I’ll keep practicing.

16. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

For electric I keep gravitating towards a V-Picks Euro II. Just feels like a have way more control with that size pick and drilled perspex seems to not slip at all.

For acoustic, I seem to end up with the Wegen Bluegrass 1.2mm or the Green Tortex .88 most of the time.

Runners up, Bluechip TD40, Green Tortex .88, Wegen Bluegrass 1.2mm, V-Picks Tradition Lite, Fender Heavy

I have numerous other picks, and can pretty much use anything except ultra thin nylon flappy picks, stone/metal/glass picks, coin shaped picks, and those huge triangular picks. I was surprised that didn't mind a couple of 3mm fat picks that came as samples from V-Picks when I ordered some other pickups.

17. orourke

orourke Member

I love these Cool picks in Medium. That sandpaper-y stuff keeps it from slipping out of my hand.

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

18. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Just the ones my mama gave me.

19. scribbler

scribbler Member

Started with standard Tortex 1.0mm. Moved to the .88mm Tortex sharps. Currently using the Tortex Jazz iii 1.14mm. Used a thinner .5mm Tortex recently and kinda liked it so I might change again.

20. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

For a long time I was using Fender Extra Heavy 346 shape. Then I received a free Gravity Pick with a JHS pedal... and loved it. Since then I have been pretty much exclusively using the red Gravity Picks JHS model pick.