What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aynirar27, Jul 12, 2019.

1. HoweFan

HoweFan Member

2. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Lately just the ones god gave me.

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

Jazz lll

Just got a variety pack. Digging the ones w the grip added.

4. Digidog

Digidog Member

Dunlop Jazz III and Gravity Sunrise 1.5 or Classic 1.5 every now and then.

All depending on what I play and what I feel like.

5. Unadan

Unadan Member

Ultex Sharp 1.0mm

6. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I recently stopped by a shop nearby and found some really cool picks made by a local guy. I didn't think to ask if he had a website though, I will next time as is like to have a few more of the really thick ones(I'd say 5 or 6 mm). They aren't as refined as V-Picks but the acrylic ones have a very similar grip. I thought the rough edges added too much of a scraping sound so I smoothed them out a good bit and rounded off the tips slightly. Now, they are great! They are effortless to hold on to and the speed I'm getting is awesome! I'm afraid of getting to like them too much and not being able to get more lol. I'm going to try like hell to not lose them but these things happen. I don't know what it is but I like these better than the V-Picks of similar thickness I've tried. Maybe its the slightly rough edges, maybe they are what is killing the chirp. I love the feel of thicker V-Picks but can't kill the chirp no matter what I do. I had to adjust my picking angle but I can do it on medium pointeds.

[​IMG]

7. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

This thread inspired me to try a few picks after playing the Fender California Clears (in green) for years.

Gotta say, I'm digging the Fender Tortugas and have pretty much flipped to them. Easy to grip and a nice round tone to them with a little bite.

8. Mele

Mele Member

Just my opinion:
    1. Fingers
    2. Blue Chip TAD
    3. V-Pick Pearly Gates
    4. Dunlop Jazz III textured grip
    5. Dunlop Tortex

I personally think you can hear and feel more difference with picks when playing an acoustic guitar - that's probably why bluegrass flatpickers seem to be more obsessive about picks. I've also come to appreciate that various shapes and thicknesses influence how you approach playing. Strumming is easier with a thin flappy pick and speed runs seem more effortless with a chunker, but YMMV.

Picks can be just as important as guitar > cable > effects > amp, so having an open mind and spending a few bucks and some time exploring can pay big dividends. Yes, $35 for a Blue Chip pick is a bit much, but it if it allows you to play the way you want, then its actually a better investment than another pedal you never turn on or a $5000 guitar.

9. rwhitney

rwhitney Member

Alice Picks -- cheapest, lowest quality picks from China (made by an all-female run company called the Guangzhou Romance Musical Instruments Co., Ltd.) in various sizes; initially because I liked the name "Alice", but discovered I liked the unique feel and sound (maybe more psychological than empirical, but that's what art is, eh?). I'm not abandoning my beloved Blue Chip TADs, or my old standby Dunlop Tortex .73s. but Alice Picks have captured my heart for now.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

11. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I’ve been using two blue Chip picks for about 10 years now. One a CT55 and a TAD45 and the 55 actually shows a tiny bit of wear as it is the one that was used most.

If I don’t lose them I may not have to buy picks ever again!

12. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Recently re discovered red jazz IIIs. Also the max grip version.

PaulS60 likes this.
  13. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

14. skipburz

skipburz Member

Last two posts have me covered: Jim Dunlop Jazz III (the yellow Ultex and the red Eric Johnson). I also like the D'Andrea Pro Plec (the small jazz size) for chord melody stuff. I'm a jazz player, so that's what I use for my 335, 175, and Tele (set up for jazz with 12 gauge Thomastik Bebops). I got a Blue Chip Jazz 60 for my birthday from my kids. I like it on my Martin D-28 for flatpicking, but don't love it on my electric guitars. I don't like the sound of the attack on my flatwound Thomastik Swings.

15. tarheelalum

tarheelalum Member

16. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

17. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

The same for everything, all electrics, acoustic, and bass:

[​IMG]

It's quite rigid and has an incredibly crisp attack. I am a fast alt-picker, and this gives amazing clarity and single-note volume, plus it's extremely durable. :beer

Love it so much that I'm selling my stockpile of formerly beloved (but fast wearing) Gator Grip 1.14s. And I threw my also-rans away. I only need one pick. I did keep some Tortex .73s for acoustic strumming, but I don't really need them either. Just need to have an entire UPS truck of TIIIs delivered to my house.

18. slamigo

slamigo Member

Cat Tongue 0.88
    [​IMG]

19. Machew

Machew Member

john petucci's