What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

zztomato

Supporting Member
I do a lot of hybrid picking so I like a pick that isn't too grippy so I can spin it's position in my hand when I want to play with my fingers for a while. also good for tapping and grabbing the whammy bar
I wish I would've spent more time trying to get that hybrid style down- it really is the best method. I do kinda have my own thing though so that's always a plus. I just have a very tough thumbnail on my picking hand and that gets me close to a pick sound.

Dave Merrill

Jazz III for many years, have Ultex Jazz III and Ultex Jazz III 2.0 mm coming to check em out, on this guy's recommendation. Not that I'm a speed picker or seriously want to be, just looking to improve.

DonaldDemon

I think the OP would like the John Petrucci Jazz III's, they are stiff and slick. I used them for quite a while but I change picks about every 6 months for some reason. I'm really liking the Dava Control or Rock picks for at least a year now.

AltecGreen

Silver Supporting Member
I've basically tried them all, from Blue Chip, Red Bear(or whatever they're called), tortex, ultex, glass, stone, metal, hard woods, even bought some picks made out of wooly mammoth ivory. The one I always come back to is the Max Grip Jazz 3, just can't be beat inmho. Cheap, easy to find, and they sound great.

Have you tried ebonite?

zero_kool

I went on a pick adventure years ago & after playing tons of picks my favorite is the Dunlop jazz iii Eric Johnson signature picks! They have a tone about them that I like & I like the grip the old style font provides!