What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

RJLII

I have big mitts and the teardrop picks don't work for me. These have been my solution for the last 30+ years. I bought a half gross as I recall.

I like the picks that Lollar makes too. They make them out of bobbin material. They're a matte finish that's easy to hold on to, and the edge gives a raw attack on the string. It's great for blues. LINK

Last edited:
I usually use V-Pick... the Blackhole when playing lead and higher-gain music (with my Solar)... the Traditional when playing something more along the lines of a strat-tele. I use Timbertones when picking an acoustic (I prefer the wood sound on the strings). I've gone through a LOT of different picks to narrow down what I like.

TheGuildedAge

Grey dunlop 73. I’m so used to them that anything else feels too weird for me to play right or enjoy myself.
I came to say this. I hold mine upside too. I've been using them for over 20 years and can't even play other picks the right way.

I use the .73 for electric stuff, and for lighter acoustic stuff, it's 95% fingerstyle or I like the real thin white dunlops for chords.

schmokes15

I’m constantly bouncing between Dunlop 3m stubby (the small ones), gravity Tripp and V-Pick dimension. I actually will swap between all 3 during a gig based on the songs we are playing. However, I don’t really have a rhyme or reason as to why I actually do that, and I can’t guarantee that my choices remain consistent from gig to gig.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
I see what you did there...
I imagine everyone of us here have a gabillion and 14 picks like I do.
I wish I was cool enough to have my own pick, named after me. I love my V-Picks, although there is not enough room on them for HeyMrTeleMan! :bonk:aok (Although an order for a gabillion and 14 picks would surely 'incent' the maker to fit it on, no?)
One can order them with name lasered on. It’s definitely fun

Surgeon

I came to say this. I hold mine upside too. I've been using them for over 20 years and can't even play other picks the right way.

I use the .73 for electric stuff, and for lighter acoustic stuff, it's 95% fingerstyle or I like the real thin white dunlops for chords.
Yay I’m not alone!
Cool that you use them upside down, you have one extra corner too!
For acoustic I use the lighter gray ones (50-something) since I mostly strum and very hard too...

TheGuildedAge

Yay I’m not alone!
Cool that you use them upside down, you have one extra corner too!
For acoustic I use the lighter gray ones (50-something) since I mostly strum and very hard too...
It's funny how acclimated we get. The only exception is if I am in the mood to play really fast shred stuff, I will use a Dava or Jazz pick with just a hint of plastic showing beyond my thumb.

Same with acoustic. My old bands did a lot of radio shows and things like that where I wanted more control over my dynamics, so I used my fingers so much I can't really use a pick on acoustic unless it's chords or fast runs, and it feels foreign to me.

ChipOnly

Supporting Member
Jazz III 2.0 in ultex. I wish they weren't black. Anything but black. Drop a pick? Gone forever.

Ace1432

My #1 go-to pick for playing anything is:

classic green tortex .88

i have been known to switch to a .73 for songs with heavy strum patterns because i put a death grip on my pick and if im strumming and hit the strings weird, PEW! off goes my pick and i look like a goober trying to locate a new one.

and a side note, ive been trying to learn how to use THESE BASTARDS :

and i feel like ive been failing miserably. ive seen people wear them in a way that the pick covers the fingertip, but then i just glance off the strings and it sounds like crap, but if i wear them like a claw, they get caught up too easily and pop off my fingers.

Yamaha 1421

Mostly Jim Dunlop Jazz III's and Jazz II's...............the originals which are a deeper darker red in color...........................but...............I do have these others.;)

Last edited:

BlueRiff

Fender 351 Heavy for .10-.46 D’addario XL standard set equipped guitars and 351 Extra Heavy for Archtop with .11-.52 round wounds. I used to use the 358 tear drops but hard to play soft when needed with such a small, heavy pick for me. I tried the Dunlop Jazz IIIs but they feel like I’m playing with a nickel - too blocky sounding.

cugel

Supporting Member
anyone want to comment on dealing with chirp from v-picks? I like the way they feel but the chirp is unbearable sometimes. Sure I can change the way I play to get rid of the chirp but that seems like too much of a hassel. I typically use a jazz iii of one form or another.

Trending Topics