What Kind of Picks Is Everyone Using??

ntotoro

Started using the black Jazz III’s sometime in the late ‘80’s, but always found a more Fender-style pick for acoustic guitar. Just couldn’t make them work, for some reason.

Kept looking for a Jazz III that lasted longer, but had a similar attack. The Ultex ones do that for me. One day, while buying all the ones my local shop had, I accidentally bought a bunch of Ultex Jazz III XL’s and fell in love with them. I now use them for both acoustic and electric guitars.

ntotoro

anyone want to comment on dealing with chirp from v-picks? I like the way they feel but the chirp is unbearable sometimes. Sure I can change the way I play to get rid of the chirp but that seems like too much of a hassel. I typically use a jazz iii of one form or another.
A friend of mine told me you had to change your technique to make it stop. I thought to myself there was no way I’d change my technique for a pick LOL! I did buy a Red Rocker and that didn’t chirp, but I just couldn’t fall in-love with that pick. There was a “scrape” to the attack over time that I just didn’t like.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
anyone want to comment on dealing with chirp from v-picks? I like the way they feel but the chirp is unbearable sometimes. Sure I can change the way I play to get rid of the chirp but that seems like too much of a hassel. I typically use a jazz iii of one form or another.
Never have noticed that. Must be my attack angle

Barquentine

I used JAZZ 3's and really liked them but they wore out very quickly. Switched to Ernie Ball Prodigy 1.5. I like them even more and they last forever.

s2y

V Picks for electric guitar
Blue Chip and Charmed Life for acoustic. Expensive, but they make my acoustics sound heavenly.

cugel

Supporting Member
Never have noticed that. Must be my attack angle
yep, the angle affects the chirp. Maybe my technique is wrong but at this point I do not know if the pros outweigh the cons to lead me to dump more traditional jazz iii picks. I actually think the roughed edge v-picks chirp less. I won't throw them away or anything like that; there's one in my car for some reason so you know I had it in my pocket...

Mad Wombat

If you like Jazz III's, you'll probably love Dava Jazz Grips. They've been my favourites for a few years now.

Stolen from their site:

Gclef

Dunlop gator grip 2mm black

Dunlop tortex black in two sizes
Jazz 3 size in 1.14mm
Regular size in 1.35mm

Ernie ball prodigy 2mm.

I’ve been out of the loop for 10 years or so using up the big bag of Jazz IIIs I bought way back when.
What’s new in the world of picks? I like em small and stiff.
I have a tusk buffer I love, but it won’t be easy to replace so I’m looking for some to have for when I leave the house with gear in tow.

I remember liking planet waves black ice picks when I was gigging, but I burned through one every week.

Should I just stay with Jazz IIIs??
I am all about stiffness. The gator 2mm is my go to. It has a nice rounded edge thatcisnt to clicky.

The two tortex ones are small and stiff. When I switch to them, my speed just about doubles. Like a batter swinging two bats, I guess. I would use these more, but a 16 year gator 2mm habit is hard to break.

The ernie balls are new ones ibam trying out. They are super stiff and refuse to rotate or slip in my fingers. The edge is different than the gators. It feels more precise? I cant explain it. The more I use these, the more I like them.

I've noticed that some guitars like certain picks better.

Best thing about picks is the cost. Change your sound for pennies.

EDIT: I almost forgot clayton acetals! I use the small and regular size in the thicker sizes. Warm sounding and stiffer.

Last edited:

the_rising

Silver Supporting Member
Clayton 1.00mm

Played them for 20+ years...have tried others and keep coming back.

I like the feel but also the bright attack.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
yep, the angle affects the chirp. Maybe my technique is wrong but at this point I do not know if the pros outweigh the cons to lead me to dump more traditional jazz iii picks. I actually think the roughed edge v-picks chirp less. I won't throw them away or anything like that; there's one in my car for some reason so you know I had it in my pocket...
I do a ton of hybrid picking too so it’s in the mix with fingers

Blue Lizard

I have a box with all sorts of plectra in the studio as swapping around can greatly affect tonality and response for recording (massive changes when recording acoustic).

Personal favourite for a while has been the mini red Jazz III, but I add a little bit of grip tape to sit under the thumb/finger.

Rockledge

Back in the mid-late 70s I was using triangle picks that were red or black, made in both colors, that had the K logo of Kay guitars in the center. I ran out of them years ago, they were my all time favorite pick. They were stout in the center but the points were just a little limber.
The only pick I found close was the Dunlop Delrin triangles. I used the .71s. I would buy them in bulk.
I don't know why I changed, but some years back I switched to the Dunlop Ultex .73 .

Those seem to work fine for me, and unlike the Delrins , which the tips would wear down , the Ultex pics seem to keep their shape a lot longer and the points don't round off. as fast as other pics. I don't play hard at all, but I play a lot of individual notes and tend to be the only guitarist in bands I am in and do a lot of 3 piece work and a lot of hybrid picking, so that pick is constantly moving.

Someone told me once that there was a guy that made those K picks at his house.
I heard that when he died nobody else carried on making them.
Probably not a true story, but I still wish I had a gross of them. I was buying them cheap at a local lutheirs small shop back then, when the guy was first starting out he had a small guitar store that his shop was in the back of.

Also, I tried the picks that are made of animal hooves, they have the flex and feel of the old turtle shell picks , not exactly but similar.
They were ok, but at 5 bucks a pop a bit too expensive to not be constantly aware of keeping track of them. I like the Ultex ones better, and they are far cheaper.

Last edited:

Trending Topics