What kind of power supply do I want?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Motherfuzzer, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

I have been using a daisy chain and individual wall warts for years. It’s time to upgrade.

I am using;
    Effectrode Tube Vibe,
    Prince of Tone,
    Various fuzz pedals I run off batteries.
    Boss DD2 (not always in use but needs a spot.)
    Strymon Volante,
    And a Ditto x2 looper.
    A spot for a tuner would be nice. Some expansion flexibility might be nice too.

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I like Cioks.

3. 0010 0001 0011 1111 1110

0010 0001 0011 1111 1110 Member

Power plus 2. Reliable as all heck. Just my 2c.

Rod likes this.
  4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Strymon Zuma is the best imo.

5. Viking999

Viking999 Member

Cioks DC7; lots of power and expandable with 24v output or USB

6. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Only a Effectrode power supply will power your Vibe. Nothing else has the amperage that pedal needs at 12 Volts. Otherwise a Strymon Zuma or Ojai will cover your needs.

There is probably a power cable that plugs into 2 outlets and adds the amperage of the 2. That and a polarity switching cable.

I love Effectrode, but powering them is tricky.

7. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I would compare the Cioks DC7, Strymon Ojai, and Trutone CS6 for what you have now. PP2+ is not the best choice for something like a Volante, IMO- you’ll need a current doubling cable to combine the two higher outputs on it, and that limits future expansion especially for anything digital. The other options all have higher total ma available per output so that you may very well be able to daisy chain some future lower draw things together because of the high available current. For example the Ojai has 5x500ma and I once ran 13 total pedals off of it.

And yeah there’s not a PSU out there that I know of able to do 12v 1A power for your Effectrode. So that wall wart probably is permanent.

8. Timtam

Timtam Member

Any of the specific supply recommendations above are good, if the recommenders happen to have exactly the same specific pedals that you do. ;)

Otherwise you need to look up and make a list of the current draw, voltages, and polarities of each of your pedals. Then judge prospective supplies on whether they have an output (ideally fully isolated) that matches each pedal's voltage and polarity, and at least matches or (better) exceeds the pedal's current draw. The total of all pedal current draws should also be less than the total current that the supply can deliver.

Any other approach is hit or miss. You may get lucky and end up with a supply that works, or you may waste your money on a supply that doesn't work with all your pedals.

9. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Get a pedal power 2 unless you’re planning on loading up on a bunch of Strymon b***s*** in the future.

coldwaternights likes this.