What kind of room humidifier do you use for your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'm sure this has never been asked before :red I'm tired of dealing with the single case humidifiers and need a more broad solution since I have several acoustics.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just use a cheapie cool mist from Walmart. Replace the filter each year. I keep a digital hygrometer in the room and I turn on the unit if humidity drops below 30%. Running on low it never climbs above 55%. Haven't turned it on in about 2 weeks. Might be done for the year.
    Last year's winter was brutal.

I keep an Oasis case humidifier in each acoustic case.

3. kevindolar

kevindolar Supporting Member

A friend recommended the Vornado Evap 3 and I have it on my wishlist at Amazon right now. I'm holding off since spring is here though but everything I have heard is good. It's a $89 option (that's about 5-ish Oasis humis though so maybe a good option if you are dealing with that many or more guitars in the room). It has auto control based on an internal hygrometer so you can run it and ignore it other than checking reservoir level and changing the filter. They have larger/smaller versions but I chose this one based on the 700 sqf spec.

I use those Oasis case humidifiers also. Be cautious of the hanging (in-between the string versions) if they dry out completely as I've had one dry out and crumple up enough to spring a leak when refilled and under pressure. As long as they are kept in proper form they seem to work fine but those corners that form when they dry out can begin to leak a bit. The case versions seem to keep their form when dry so I've switched to those in all but 2 cases (read - too many acoustics). If you do go room humi you can keep those case versions though for your future travels.

4. Dru Edwards

Dru Edwards Member

I have a Honeywell 3 or 4 gallon humidifier that I've used in my guitar room during the Jan/Feb months. This year I removed the filter and never got a new one so I boiled some water in a kettle every few days. That worked well.

Whatever humidifier you get make sure it's big enough to handle the size of your room.

5. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Winia black model--no filters and easy dishwasher cleanup!

7. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

In the winter I just leave a small bowl of water near my guitars and refill as it evaporates. I've been doing this for over 40 years and never had an issue with under-humidification.

8. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

This is the best. I've done this myself 40 yrs.