1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of setup should I be looking into for a rock band? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by fiveightandten, Dec 3, 2017.

1. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I believe they are both Audio Technica. Not sure the model numbers but they aren’t the latest versions. They bought them used.

2. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

To get a proper mix and for monitoring.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I try to save people from making this mistake because I made it. Did exactly one gig with the Yamaha and went and bought a Mixwiz.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much my exact system (with sub) and it handles clubs and outside "Parking Lot" festivals with no problem.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  5. HoboMan

IMO, yes. I do it all the time, with bands that I play with and with my sound company. It's not for the volume, it's for the bottom end "fullness" and even spread of sound. Takes you from sounding like a garage band to a Pro level band.
    I was amazed at how quickly we got better gigs after mic'ing everything and using a sub.

6. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

We've had the Yamaha for a few years at this point.
    Understood, and thanks for the input. We'll definitely try it out. Drums too? We have a volume problem at the places we've been playing. We're trying to get our foot in the door at some larger clubs, but for right now, we need the volume as log as we can possibly get it.

Something feels silly about showing up with a car load of PA gear to play a bar, so some of these smaller form factor options look very enticing. IEMs, for instance. And, yes...the sticks. Do you have any input on running something like two ip2000s slightly behind us?

Thanks again for the input everyone, this is very helpful.

7. HoboMan

My current system consists of 2 - EV12" mains. 2 - EV 18" Subs and 5 - 12" monitors.
    For most smaller clubs I'll bring in the two mains, one sub and one or two monitors. I'm using a digital wireless XR18 mixer.
    Takes up very little space and sounds killer.
    This rig will handle medium size clubs and outdoor patio gigs. We've done street block festivals and outdoor resort gigs with this rig. That's about $2300 invested (excluding cables & mics).

For larger gigs I'll bring in the second sub.

8. Tootone

Tootone Member

You'd hope bass and guitar amps don't need PA and monitor for small gigs.

Probably vocals only in PA with 1 monitor for drummer, bass and guitar1. 2nd monitor for guitar 2.

Unless you're playing massive venues, what you have will be fine. Maybe upgrade the "sh!t" speakers for better, but that's not expensive.

9. modulusman

modulusman Member

Will these larger clubs have a PA system or will you have to supply it? If you will be bringing the PA then you should buy something scalable so you can add to it depending on room size.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I would

Paleolith54 and Floyd Eye like this.
  11. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I think assuming that everything should be mic'd is a bad assumption.

amphog likes this.
  12. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Absolutely not.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I guess it depends on your lazy to quality of sound ratio.

BoxWes likes this.
  14. wpawley

wpawley Member

No, not for just playing the PUB, but comes in real handy when recording it. Like I said, having a sound person who knows what ya'll want to sound like out front is very very important. Having the ability to record it and play it back after mixing it down helps out where improvements or changes need to happen. Virtual practice sessions without the whole band can happen then. Just because you have MIC's on something, doesn't mean that it has to go to FOH. I do that all the time with my band(s). Large or small venue, everything is mic'd. I'll then take that recording, mix it down somewhat, send it to the other members so they can critique their performance (as well as everyone else's). If they so desire, I'll send it with and without their parts so they can work on it. Our Drummer(s) use IEM (wired), I use a monitor, sometimes an IEM (wired), my guitar plucker's use monitors, and my singer uses an IEM (wireless). We all want to go wireless IEM but just haven't got the funds for that yet. IEM's/Monitors for each member does help a great deal to improve playing. The recordings help also. Even if you don't think you need to mic and send everything through the board to FOH, a little sound re-enforcement can help, no matter how large or small the venue is.

15. rsm

rsm Member

I got a pair of Alto TS210 and 1 Alto TS212s, stands with covers, and 4 XLR cables in a package for around $800; free shipping. They have other packages as well, IDJnow.com

I'd have liked a pair of Turbosound iP2000, the iP300 looks interesting too, but much higher cost than the Alto system I purchased

16. modulusman

modulusman Member

I would DI the bass and Mic the kick drum for 50 people.

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what's the point of all that?

if the amps are still going to be there then mic 'em, that's not remotely hard to do! no reason to wrestle with a bunch of cab sim stuff that if you try really hard might sound almost as good a mic.

+1 to the consensus vote here; a couple of 12" powered tops on poles, a powered sub stuck in the corner and a digital mixer and you can sound surprisingly pro at controlled volume.

Floyd Eye, wpawley and modulusman like this.
  18. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

This is quite different from what everyone else is recommending. That would mean staying passive with a powered mixer, as opposed to moving to powered speakers and a digital mixer. Have you compared these types of setups?

19. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Thanks, that's a good point about recording things. Though we don't have a set of drum mics, and it does seem like frivolous spending considering what we'll have to lay out for a new PA setup. I'll definitely run it by the band though, thanks.

20. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Thanks, I'll look into the Alto. Are you happy with them? How's the clarity with multiple sources running into them? Also, have you used the iP2000? I'm still sort of interested in these, even if it's in conjunction with monitors. The form factor is nice, and the promise of nice sound spread is enticing as well.