What kind of slide do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Oddos, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Oddos

Oddos Member

Just started thinking today how different types of slides affect your tone. I`ve just aken up slide again and I`ve come to realise hat the cheap steel tube I`m using doesn`t really do it for me.

What are your favourites?

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I prefer metal over glass for the mass which gives more sustain than glass, but I do like the glossier surface of glass as it's not as noisy. I'm not content with any of the metal slides I've tried. I'm thinking of having someone make me a slide out of highly polished stainless steel.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a variety, and I'll play whatever moves me at the time. I like the Dunlop White Lightning, Mudslide and Moonshine slides, as well as their glass and brass models. I've got a couple Big Heart aluminum ones, and both models of Rockslide.

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

I prefer glass, but only because what little slide I play is with my main guitar. The lighter glass slide allows me to keep my set up pretty low and still use a little slide when I feel like it. I should work on my technique of course, for now I get by like this.

5. danny60

danny60 Member

Medicine bottle slides do it for me

6. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I've been using glass slides for quite a while, although I recently switched to a smaller slide to use on my pinky so I can fret with the other fingers. I have a congenital defect in the pinkies of both hands; they don't straighten out completely. Up side to that is the slide doesn't fall off :)

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I used to like a heavy ceramic or glass slide (especially with acoustic) and still do sometimes, but after you get the technique down for vibrato, you don't need as heavy a slide (kind of like getting a vibrato down with heavy strings and you can go back down in guage)... and then with .010s on my PRS, a heavy slide will hit the frets too much, so you need to use sometime lighter in a more controlled fashion. I use a Duane Allman-style medicine bottle slide now, sounds/feels great. I use it on my pinky instead of the ring finger (frees up another finger)...

8. D.G.

D.G. Member

I prefer a Mudslide ceramic slide, but I'll also use a dunlop half-size metal slide and a hipshot stealth slide ring. I find using a slide on the middle finger lets me stay in tune better, though I actually prefer lap style with a SP-2 tone bar.

9. drolling

drolling Member

It's funny that I've found just the opposite of what several posters said is what works best for me. The more mass in the sllide, the less pressure I need to get a nice tone, regardless of material. If the slide's heavy enough, I don't need to apply ANY pressure at all - just position my hand over the correct fret & let the slide do all the work. I even find vibrato's easier w/a big, fat slide. The biggest plus, tho', is that I'm able to use the right slide w/all of my guitars, no matter how low the action is. When I start pushing down, no matter how lightly. that's when I start hitting the frets or knocking against the edge of the neck.

My current favorite's a home-made job fashioned from a piece femur (pig leg) I got from my butcher. Bone's tone is similar to ceramic, somewhere between glass & brass- and this particular piece is slightly concave so the curve matches the fretboard radius almost perfectly.

Never had much luck w/Dunlop slides, especially those dreadful "glass" ones that are actually pyrex, but I recently found one in a store specializing in acoustic music that I really like. It's really thick steel w/a chrome finish- It wasn't packaged, so I don't know what Dunlop calls them, but I'd never seen one before.

I've been wanting to send away for a hand blown lead crystal slide from Diamond Bottlenecks in the UK, but buying a slide on line's kinda like buying a hat or boots from a catalogue. I'm afraid it wouldn't fit right, and they're not cheap, either. But they double as a shot glass, so it wouldn't be a complete waste..

10. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I saw a bunch of sockets at Lowe's - one of them (don't remember which size) fit perfectly on my ring finger. I may go back and buy it to try as a slide. They are pretty heavy, so I'm curious to see what kind of sustain and tone they have. BTW - people in hardware stores look at you funny when you stand there sticking sockets on your fingers for 5 or 10 minutes.

jz

11. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

i like coricidin bottles- theres some good copies being made by big heart and i've seen another seemless one. I always seem to break or lose my slides though.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

13. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Heavy Brass here, I like the something really solid !

14. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

[​IMG]
    Delta Slider Wine Bottle Slide(currently my favorite for electric), two homemade wine bottle slides, the Rockslide(a very nice, comfortable metal slide), Dunlop glass
    [​IMG]
    Mudslide ceramic(nice sound on Acoustic and National), Craftsman 11/16" socket(Lowell George's choice), strange ceramic(a gift from my buddy JB, great tone, dig the flames), The Duane Allman reissue Coricidin bottle, Acoustiglide brass

15. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

big hunk o brass....=)

16. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Brass is what I use

17. jordanL

jordanL Member

I mostly use 2 different slides depending on mood, and tone desired.

My favorite is a Nunwell-its hand blown leaded glass with a dome top-about 2.25 inches long, with thick walls. For off the shelf I like the medium sizze dunlop with thick walls model 213 I think.

The other is a Rockslide I have these in Nickel and Gold Finishes theres also a chrome model. This is a fitted metal slide and is a great design imho. http://www.marksguitarshop.com/trs/

18. fyler

fyler Member

a chunk of 1" pipe i cut myself from some leftover plumbing supplies in the basement.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm not much into slides, I use to have a glass slide until I stepped on it so I went out and bought a brass slide it also has a contour to it but I think it sounds much better than glass.

20. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Heavy Dunlop glass for me.

My girlfriend bought me a ceramic slide (with skull and crossbones - ?) and the tone is really 'hard' and midrangy to my ears. I carry it around in my gear bag and set it up (in plain sight) with my stuff at gigs so that she thinks I'm using it... I'm pathetic. It might sound 'better' (to me) when used with a different gtr, but with my strats and tele, it stinks.

I might be able to try to make it work tone-wise, but physically can't get it to easily slide off of my finger during performance as the inside is rough/unfinished. I'll just keep using it as a "mantel piece".

*Edit to say that the 'Rock Slide' that jordanL posted about looks pretty hip - I'd like to try one of those, maybe in Ni plated brass.