What kind of slides do y'all use?

I've only really started playing slide a lot recently. I've had knowledge and minimal experience playing slide for about 7 or 8 years now, but it was only when I bought my current slide as an "aw, what the hell! we'll try this one" kind of purchase that it hooked me. I immediately bonded way better with it than any other slide I'd used in the past. It's a Dunlop 223 Brass Knuckle slide. It sits right between my 2nd and 3rd joints on my ring finger, allowing for plenty of bend in the finger. I'm still able to use my ring finger tip for fretting. In fact, for about two weeks I forced myself to play with it on my finger, whether I was using it or not, in order to get used to using my ring finger tip. Now I'm at a point where I could play an entire set, regardless of how many songs call for a slide, with the slide on my finger the entire time.

Sure, it's pretty short, and you can't slide on all six strings at once. But, you can use it for 3 strings at a time, which is all I really need, since I play in standard tuning 95% of the time. Just finding a slide that got me excited about using it made a world of difference in my willingness to practice. I've improved my slide playing more in the past 6 months than I have in the past 7 years that I've had the "yeah, I can kinda play slide. I'm not great, though," attitude. I even keep it on my carabiner with my keys, so I've always got it with me.

So what do you guys like? What material is your favorite? Do you prefer a full wall, or just the knuckle, like me? Do you only use it on electric? Only on acoustic? Both? I'd love to hear TGP's opinion on slides.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
You have already cost me money. I just bought a glass knuckle to try out.

I use a JetSlide and Coricidin bottles of various sizes, but some songs require that I switch seamlessly from slide to fretted notes. The JetSlide does this pretty well, but i prefer the sound of glass over steel and the glass sleeve for the JetSlide doesn't do it for me.

I hope the glass knuckle works for me the way your brass knuckle works for you.

Last edited:

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Brass swamp slide on my ring finger. Tapered to hold on to the tip of your finger and even has a resting spot flattened for my middle finger to sit on.

You have already cost me money. I just bought a glass knuckle to try out.

I use a JetSlide and Coricidin bottles of various sizes, but some songs require that I switch seamlessly from slide to fretted notes. The JetSlide does this pretty well, but i prefer the sound of glass over steel and the glass sleeve for the JetSlide doesn't do it for me.

I hope the glass knuckle works for me the way your brass knuckle works for you.
I hope you like it, man! Mine was a lightbulb moment for me. It made immediate sense to me, and made me realize that I've been avoiding using a slide in my live playing, because I didn't think I could work it out if I had to switch back and forth seamlessly like you said. I never imagined I could play slide without having to sacrifice the use of one of my fingers. Again, I hope it works for you! And sorry for making you spend some money. ;)

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Porcelain is the way to go for me, Paloma stone slides have impressed me most lately, but I have a pretty large collection as of late

Porcelain is the way to go for me, Paloma stone slides have impressed me most lately, but I have a pretty large collection as of late
I've actually never even tried a porcelain slide. How would you compare the tone to brass? As I'm sure you can tell from my original post, I'm certainly not unhappy with my brass slide. Just curious if I'm missing out on something that could potentially work better for me tonally.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Oh cool! So, your middle finger rests on it kind of like a tone bar? That's rad...
Exactly. It's basically a natural tone bar and because it's flattened your middle and index fingers just sort of naturally rest on it without thinking. It's very stabilizing.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a good recording of all... Pt. 2 is being released in two weeks...also when I say ceramic in video, it's actually porcelain, found out a week ago

blustrat

been playing slide for 30 plus years ..... still not great , but my preference now is the Rocky Mountain Ceramic slides ! they totally kill it ! electric or acoustic !

Imperial_Tone

All things with a Maple Cap
Furious Slides, they're made out of Titanium and are honestly the best slides I have ever used; imo.

Trending Topics