• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What kind of strings do you all prefer?

martysnarf

Good Morning!

I know there could be a million responses to this and of course it's personal preference, but I am wondering what brands of strings you guys prefer?

I have been using DR's, and I like them alot- but I am thinking of switching and looking for some input from all you players out there.

What do you use, and why? I don't care about string gauge- just brand and why you like 'em.

THANKS!

axemanjoe

I've been using D'Addarios for a very long time, went to the .0095-.044 set a few years ago. I also like the Dean Markley Vintage Nickel reissues, I'll get the .009 -.046 set but get a .010 and a .012 for the E and B.

Tried the Ernie Ball Classic Rock and Roll set, didnt care for them, they're hex core, I put them under a microscope as I was curious. The Markleys are round core. So I usually go with the D'Ad's or Markleys, even though teh D'Ad's are hex core too. Tried DR's, didn't care for them that much either.

I will NEVER order Snake Oil Brand again, terrible customer service, ridiculous responses from a person who comes accross like a complete idiot, and the strings weren't any better than what you can get at any music store. I know lots of folks will disagree with me, but that's my 2 cents.

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
I like the GHS David Gilmour set-.105-.50. Nicely balanced.

M

Member 995

I think I have GHS strings on all my guitars right now. Burnished nickel .011s on my electrics and Phosphor Bronze true mediums on my acoustics.

B_of_H

I switched to elixer nano 11's a few years ago and they took a little getting used to but I love them. They never quite have that spanking new sound to them but they sound like they are a few days old for a few weeks....a week old for a few months etc...

i've had the same set on my tele since october i'm willing to bet and they still don't squeek and sound great IMO.

XXTwighlight

Silver Supporting Member
Ernie Ball 11's (power slinky) they are a special set that has a slightly thinner low E.
I used d'addario 9's for most of my life (25 years playing) and recently switched to 11's cause they stay in tune beter and i get more support on the higher strings when chording on the e/b/g high end.
They are great!

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
I use these on my ES-335 :

and I use these on my Les Paul Standard :

dantedayjob

Ernie Ball... 9's for everything except my Gretsch, 10's for the Gretsch... Every couple years I'll try another brand, but always go back to the EBs...

Blurillaz

D'addario 10-46s. I use to use Dr 10-46s instead, but they gave me a buncha buzz, and for some reason, the d'addarios don't buzz... Seriously I tried everything, but couldn't get there to be no buzz, adjusted evrything possible to every possible setting and brought it to a guitar tech to help...

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
D`Addario 11-49 and SIT 11-50 set for my electrics. John Pearse Bronze 13-53 or 54 for my Martin OM21 D`Addario12 -53 set for archtops~

shngn7

DR Pure Blues on my electrics. Occasionally I will use the DR Tite-Fits on my Les Paul. DR Rares on my acoustic.

Trending Topics