What kind of toggle switch?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mmorse, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mmorse

mmorse Member

I just bought a little Vox DA5 to use as a practice amp. It sounds much better through an extension cab than it does through its own speaker. I would like to add an input jack and a toggle switch so I can use the internal speaker or plug in my 112 cab. I have the input jack but I don't know what type of toggle switch I need. I went to radio Shack but the rubes there had no idea what I was talking about. I just need a switch that will allow me to switch between the internal speaker and the input jack that I'm going to install. Can anyone tell me what type of toggle switch to get?
    thanks
    -mark

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Rather than get a toggle switch, why not just use a shorting jack as one of the output jacks? If you wire up the tip and sleeve the same, and you tie the shorting lug to the hot of the speaker lead it would do the same, and you would never run the risk of having no load on the amp.

3. alltone

alltone Member

might be a good idea to go with a switching jack..that way there is no chance of a "no load" to the amplifier if you forget to switch your toggle from spkr to spkr .

4. alltone

alltone Member

Ya ' beat me to it.:D.damn this Dial -up!!:Devil

5. mmorse

mmorse Member

6. alltone

alltone Member

The jack you posted may have this configuration..The chassis mount speaker jack in your amp may already be one of these. If you speaker is hard wired in your amp.. then you should be able to obtain one of these from an electronics parts store.
    Hope this helps, Doug.
    [​IMG]

7. mmorse

mmorse Member

This is what I ordered.

[​IMG]

I assumed the shorting blade would be the one in the middle but your diagram says otherwise. So looking at the image above, the left blade is the hot (+), the middle blade is ground and the right blade is the short. Is that correct?

8. alltone

alltone Member

Re your last pic. post.Left lug is TIP(hot)..center is shorting blade.and far right sitting on top is the ground lug.. yes my mistake on the diagram I posted,,Sorry 'bout that. :joP.S.... Re drawn..diagram ....:AOK

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Yes, a switching jack is the way to go, there is only one brand to use here, Switchcraft. Don't use an off brand. The Switchcraft part number is 12A.

Something I have done to a couple of my combo amps is put an attenuator insert in them. This allows you to patch in an attenuator between the amp and speaker, plus either use the internal speaker with another amp or the internal amp with another speaker, like the OP wants in this thread. Check it out here.

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

Thanks for the clarification and the wiring diagram.

11. mmorse

mmorse Member

The Switchcraft 12A is what I ordered.

12. mmorse

mmorse Member

Got the jack yesterday and I installed it. It works just fine! Eactly what I wanted. Thanks much for all who responded and a special thanks for douglasamps for his wiring diagram. :BEER

-mark