What kind of tone are you trying to get out of your amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Jan 20, 2006.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Seems like a lot of folks on this forum are going for clean tones and just a little dirt. Any high gain (Vai, Satch, Yngwie) folks around here that DON'T do Marshall & Mesa?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep. I use Peaveys mostly. JSX,Rockmaster/Classic 50/50,Ultra 112 etc.High gain stuff.Not the usual for around here but this place is mellow and loaded with great information!:)

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

No high gain here. I like grit and grind but to my ears too much gain takes the definition out of the tone.

I like the Dumble type tones, as well as clean Fender amps and Marshall grind.

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Damn, with that gear of yours, it looks like you can be the resident gainiac expert. What the heck are you missing, a Framus?:dude

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

Yeah it's sometimes difficult to understand what people mean over here when they say something has killer distortion. Some people consider distortion being hard rock type tones while for others it could be bluesy grit.

I don't like most high gain amps but am thinking of getting a Diezel Einstein. Seems to be a rather nice allround amp. I'm mainly looking for nice hard rock tones but it's nice if the amp does metal and lower gain tones when I feel like busting out some Slayer or Knopfler. :D

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I love tones ranging from SRV up to insane levels of gain. I wouldn't want an amp that couldn't at least get somewhere close to that.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I couldn't care less about sounding like anyone else....I just try to duplicate the sound I hear bouncing around inside my brain. So far, the closest I've come is a good Strat into a Komet 60 with a little help from a homebrew low gain OD pedal. The high gain/humbucker sound never appealed to me so that narrows the hardware field. However, for a reality check, I still enjoy sniffing a few corks now and then....but single coil guitars and single channel NMV low gain amps seem to work best for me.

8. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Whatever tone I want the key is it must be musically pleasing.
    A singing quality with warmth & depth to it.
    My 2 main amps, Soldano SLO100 & Diaz CD100 have VERY responsive
    controls. The SLO is high gain of course & the Diaz is more toneful
    with a little less gain. I love both but I've NEVER heard a more toneful
    amp than the Diaz.:dude
    I'm 100% satisfied with my amplifier tone.

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

I love my high gain but I must admit, I've been pretty much died-in-the-wool Marshall most of my life, so that's where my ear pulls me. I'm currently enjoying my CAE OD-100 SH with EL34s and Plexi transformer through a Bogner strait front 4x12 loaded with V30s. I also have one of the very early Bogner Ecstasy 101Bs that I'm hoping will give me most of the tones I've always dreamed of in one amp, but I just got it and haven't had the time to really tweak it. And with that amp there is A LOT of tweaking to be done.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm trying to cop all of Eric Johnson's tones......right down to the batteries and cables.

(NOT!!!!)

:D

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I love 'em all (well, I love the concept of all levels of gain). I play:
    Vintage Fenders/Marshalls/Vox clean and crunchy
    Modern takes on vintage designs clean and crunchy
    High gain pedal/stacks into clean amps
    High gain amps (Morin and Soldano/Yamaha)

I've owned a lot of high gain channel switchers, which have all ended up going on down the line (except the Yamaha) because the cost/benefit ratio didn't seem useful given that I use high gain stuff maybe once or twice a month for fun. I've kept the Morin high gain preamp because it's very cool (all handbuilt/handwound/billet aluminum) and I probably couldn't sell except at a loss but I've let my Boogie/Egnator/Marshall/Bruno/VHT etc gear go long ago (and kept the Yamaha because it's got such a killer cost benefit ratio ;). I still mostly gravitate to blue/classic rock tone.

I do have a question about what people mean by "high gain" though. To me it's most useful for lead stuff-sustain that just sings. I can see the attraction of the chuggy metal sound-but I can get that with relatively low gain pedals into an amp with tight bass (Sansamp into Alessandro for example) so even though it's "metal" I don't think of that as high gain. What do you think?

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

High gain is way above most blues gain. I guess I'd say its eighties metal and higher if that makes sense. for reference-EVH's early cranked marshall sound (though glorious!)isnt quite what I would call high gain.:)

13. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

For high gain we tend to use

Soldano SLO-100,
    Bogner Uberschall
    Bogner XTC Classic
    Rivera Knucklehead II
    Rivera Knucklehead Reverb

and for a little less than really high gain,

Cornford MK50H

We also have Germino HR-100 but that's really a Marshall sound, and not quite high gain.

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

for high gain i use a bad cat hot cat 30r into a bad cat 2x12
    for low gain i use a bad cat hot cat 30r into a bad cat 2x12

15. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Clean - I like bright, spongy, and slightly warm amp settings, sometimes w/ chorus & delay. Mark series Boogies, Fenders, and Fuchs do a spectacular job here.

Rhythm - I like warm, slightly scooped overdriven sounds with a tight low end where you can still hear clear chord definitions. Older Marshalls and Dr Z amps are fantastic for this, although lately I'm liking Mesa Recto's for slightly heavier rhythm parts due to the added low end.

Lead - I like very resonant, sustaining, and highly overdriven lead tones with a lot of low mids and very little treble. Think of the way a cello sounds and you're about there. My favorite amps for this are Mesa Mark IIC+'s and my new Fuch's ODS50. Soldano's can get this level of overdrive, but are EQ'd way too brightly for my tastes. On the other hand, Recto's & Deisels are EQ'd about right, but sound too buzzy for the lead sound I'm after. I often add a little delay around 375-425 ms to give it some ambience.

16. bailnout

bailnout Member

Sounds complicated. Can you give us a little more details? LOL

Just kidding with ya! Don't you just love it when it's simple like that?

17. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Looking for the Robin Trower tone currently

I'm thinking
    Strat
    Aiken Invader EL34
    Fullton Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
    Fulltone mini Dejavibe
    Cry Baby 535Q (since I already have it)
    Bogner OS 2x12 w/ SouthBayAmpworks H75/H55 blend (maybe seal up the back)

Open to suggestions on how to tweak that

Also looking for (getting) killer blues, but it's easy
    Strat w/Lindy Fralins
    Two Rock CR Sig
    TR 2x12 12-65
    "We don't need no stinking pedals" on this one

[​IMG]

18. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

One thing that's consistent in my sound is that all my amps start out with a great clean sound. It's gotta start there if it's gonna make me happy in the long haul. The other thing that's very important to me is good, solid lows. I just can't hang with flubby lows. I love the lows in all my amps.

But I like varying levels of gain for different styles. I love my Orange Rockerverb 50 for higher gain tones. For voxy/marshally stuff (lower gain) I have a Roccaforte Rockie which I really dig. For Fender-like cleans and a good deal of Marshall/Tweed gain, I've got a Divided by 13 FTR37. But for my basic meat and potatoes mid-gain tones, my favorites are my Ampeg VT-40 and GV22 Gemini.

The last thing is...while some players were extremely influential to me...I still don't really sound like them and don't try to emulate their sound when I'm working on my own stuff. I like rigs that enable my own sound/personality to come through.

19. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

My Bogner 101B handles my needs nicely. Now if I can just find a nice backup amp..:dude

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Peter green is always my ulimate goal........I like Fat clean with lots of sustain and I like to be able to have the note bloom and swell when I hold it........so unfortunately I gotta get it a little dirty to get there.