1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of tube is this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eyeball987, May 18, 2011.

1. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I bought this locally off of an amp builder about a year ago and he told me that is was mainly used in old Ampeg amps for a certain spot and that I should not use it in certain spots as a AX7 replacement. I can't remember what the actual tube type is but do remember it sounding good in his test amp.

Anyone know what type of Ei tube this is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I can't tell from looking but maybe it is a 12AU7 or a 12DW7? They are found in older ampegs. The 12AU7 has much lower gain than 12AX7; and the 12DW7 has one triode with the gain of a 12AX7 and another triode with the gain of a 12AU7.

3. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

The description you gave of the 12DW7 sounds very familiar. I am almost positive that is what he said it was. Thanks for the quick response!

Any harm/benefit for using it as a AX7 replacement?

4. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

You won't harm the amp, but it may not sound good. But you may like it, who knows? It all depends on the amp circuitry.

5. ken374

ken374 Member

looks like the telefunken copy ax7, might be microphonic, good v2 tube if it is