What kind of tubes are you guys liking in your DRRIs?

Presc

It's about time to retube my DRRI for the first time. I bought this amp used about two years ago and the previous owner had just retubed and rebiased with JJ 6V6s and JJs in the preamp with the exception of what looks like a NOS JAN Philips 12AT7 for the reverb. The amp is making some unusual noise and hiss which is not related to guitars/pedals/cables and I'm guessing the time is up for this set of tubes.

What tubes have you liked in you DRRIs? I don't have the kind of money to get a full complement of super-expensive NOS tubes but I do want to get something nicer than a standard set of crap tubes.

I was also thinking about possibly putting a lower gain preamp tube in the V2. 12AT7? 12AY7? I play clean quite a bit and wouldn't mind getting a bit more clean from the vibrato channel. In general I love the clean sounds of this amp and love it on the edge of breakup and while I don't find it overly bright like some do, the powertube breakup sounds fizzy and I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd like something that will make the amp sound "sweeter".

Thanks!

Mr. Bertha

If I'm not mistaken -- and I often am -- the JJ6v6 is more akin to a 6L6 than other brands of 6v6. They're real good if you want more bass and more headroom and less compression than a traditional 6v6. If you want more drive, try the Electro Harmonix 6v6.... I'm sure others will chime in about NOS tubes and other brands. hope this helps

5E3

I only changed the power tubes to new production Tung Sols. Sounds great :AOK

Presc, hisses and pops are common preamp tube symptoms. I'd switch out one preamp tube at a time, starting with V1, firing up the amp between each swap to listen. I'm guessing you have a bad preamp tube ... if swapping preamp tubes around doesn't fix the problem, then address the power tubes.
I don't like changing all the tubes at once, it doesn't tell you anything about what's going on in your amp. If you see a pattern of wear with a certain tube, or a recurring problem, you can diagnose internal issues better. Also, some tubes just last a long time, so why pull them if they work.
Once you fix the weird noise, you'll be in a better position to judge the sound of your power tubes, in case you think you need a different brand in there.

Last edited:

daddyo

I used Re-issue TungSol 6V6 and 12AX7s and NOS Mullard 12AT7s. This combination sounded great and was very economical. Look up KCA Tubes (Blue Strat here). The only tube I didn't change was the "vibrato" because all the tube does is oscillate the signal and any non microphonic tube will work. That was 2 years ago and I've run the amp daily.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
JAN Philips 6V6GT
V1 - Mullard (IEC Servicemaster, Blackburn) 12AX7A / ECC83
V2 - Mullard (IEC Servicemaster, Blackburn) 12AX7A / ECC83
V3 - Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7
V4 - RCA 12AX7
V5 - GT 12AX7A (stock)
V6 - RCA 12AT7 (balanced)

Speaker: Weber California

pennylink

Try swapping out the tubes one by one until you find the faulty one and replace it with a good quality current production or NOS one. For me getting the amp to sound sweeter often has to do with rolling off the tone and/or volume on the guitar to where it compliments the amp's tone.

Presc

Thanks for the ideas so far. I've looked at the KCA site and it seems very informative - perhaps I will shoot them an email.

So you really recommend isolating the bad tube rather than redoing the whole set? I figured given that the tubes have had 2 years + on them, played daily at home volumes plus the occasional gig that the whole set was probably on its last legs.

Also, are the JJ 6V6s really not a "true" 6V6? Given the description Mr. Bertha made, I would probably prefer the JJs as I'd rather have more headroom than earlier breakup.

daddyo

Biasing is also essential! I set my bias at 19ma which is colder than many guys who like early breakup set it - but I prefer a rich, clean tone. Eurotubes sells a cool little bias socket for around $25.

Trending Topics