• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What kind of tubes do use in your Victoria

jbcrow

I just got a double deluxe, tubes aren't stock. I used to run around years ago chasing down NOS RCA tubes, Sylvania. I just don't have the time to hunt them down, I just found NOS to be unreliable in the long run. Especially when I start gigging alot. I stay away from GT's. nothing personal. I just like old school tone. Seeing what you guys think. Thanks in advance. JC

Sean French

My Vicky Deluxe has 50's RCA 6V6' and rectifier.
60's RCA AY7 in V1 and a 60' RCA AX7 in V2.
Just wondering how you found NOS tubes to be unreliable in the long run?
If you want NOS the first place I look is at www.kcanostubes.com
Mike is great to deal with and what you get from him is nothing but,top notch tubes.

FAC

I e-mailed Mark Baier at Victoria about tubes...I suggest you contact him, because I don't want to put words in his mouth or publish our communication without his consent. He had some sage advice about NOS vs. new in his amps, etc., and was very helpful and prompt with his reply.

pedalcr8z

My new Double Deluxe has 4 Tung Sol 6V6's, GT 12AX-7 and
1 GT 12 AY-7 . It also came with a Sovtek 5AR 4 as supplied from Victoria and it sounds killer! I understand the Ruby 5Y 3 is an excellent rectifier if you after earlier break up and a bit less headroom.

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
I've used that same amp for 4 years of playing, 2 years of hard gigging.

Get the new Tung Sol RI 6V6's from Thetubestore.com , they'll be at your door in about 2 days.

I gig all the time, and these sound way more old school than the JJ 6V6's. The JJ's are kinda sterile, and sound way too much like 6L6's, which IMHO, is not a good thing. However, if you want clear low notes then get the JJ's, because that is not the strong suit of the Tung Sols.

For the 12ax7, I use a JJ, and for the 12ay7 I use NOS, typically RCA. The 5Y3 I also use NOS JAN Phillips, and if I use a GZ34 I use a JJ. I don't care for modern 5Y3's, I've yet to find a good one, same deal with 12ay7's. When that happens I'll probably switch.

For recording I have a quad of Blackplate RCA's and a quad of Blackplate GE's.

My favorite tubes for the amp are Blackplate GE's personally, but they are a bit rich for my blood for regular giggin.

jbcrow

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. I loved blackplate RCA's, GE's for sure. I used them in my original 65 Super for years I'd seek those out. I just found it was hard getting reliable ones for long term. I'll check out suggested link on NOS too. I had a friend I could really trust hooking me up but I think he's doing less of that now. Thanks FAC on contacting Mark will do. Best to all, JC

sickboy79

I've got a Vicky 518T. I've still got the original pre-amp tube that came with her when I bought it from Mark about 8 years ago - JAN Philips 12AX7. I've used a few different NOS 6v6s and new production as well. My favorites are GE and Mazda 6v6s. I'm running a JAN Philips 5v4 in place of the JAN Philips 5y3 that came in her. I know Mark is a big fan of GE 6v6s. I really don't think you could go wrong with any NOS 6v6s.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I retubed my Vicky 35115 soon as I got it home. It had the original NOS GE 6L6s, several NOS choices in the preamp. JJ 6L6GC went in for power tubes. I've had excellent luck with these. they sound very good. Then swapped out the preamp things for others, all NOS.

As far as preamp tubes, there aren't that many modern manufacture tubes I'd want to use. Tung Sol RI 12ax7 certainly, EI when I can get them and they're not microphonic, JJ for reverb drivers ... and there are others. But it's always NOS stuff for V1, V2, V3 and the PI slot. Doesn't have to be way high priced stuff either. JAN Phillips 12ax7 do just fine for example, often better in a particular amp than the few way pricier tubes I have.

For 6v6, I found a later production (70s?) variant on the famous blackface. Not as much as the older blackplates, they sound excellent in my Gibson GA40. I've used the JJ 6v6s too. At least in that amp, they match up very well. But the oldies are still better.

jbcrow

Hey guys, I agree the RCA, GE tubes NOS that I've used in the past had the best tone. I just ran into having some blackplates in the past I got online, they didn't hold up, kind of a gamble sometimes. If you all have an NOS dealer online that you find reputable I'm all ears. Thanks again for advice and time on this.
Cheers, JC

Trending Topics