What kind of tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dudeman, May 23, 2008.

1. dudeman

dudeman Member

I need to replace the tubes in my Fender Champion 600 and was wondering what kind of tubes would sound better with more bottom end and an overall sweeter tone? Many people recommend JJ's but have never tried them. Can anyone recommend a good pair of tubes for my amp?

Thanks.

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Well, you have opened up a can of worms here. It uses one 6v6 and a 12ax7 corerect? YOu can find a single NOS 6v6 at a reasonable price that will sound much better than a JJ. Check around. RCA, GE, Mazda etc. As far as 12ax7s go, Just about any old manufacture tube will sound better in my opinion. However, I do not use the new manufacture tubes . Many reccommend the new tungsols.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have the same amp, but it is the Gretsch version. I have an NOS 6v6 in it & an nos 12ax7. THere was a big improvement over the stock tubes. THat said, JJ's or Tungs would be a big improvement also.

4. dudeman

dudeman Member

I have the same amp, but it is the Gretsch version. I have an NOS 6v6 in it & an nos 12ax7. THere was a big improvement over the stock tubes. THat said, JJ's or Tungs would be a big improvement also.Today 09:39 AM

Did they add or lose any distortion?

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Well, I wan't trying to remove headroom, since there isn't a lot. It makes the distortion creamier and not as broken up with and clattery with the stock tubes. Thats where the bigest difference is for me. But all round, everyhting the amp does sounds better and sweeter with NOS tubes.

And folks have been happy with a Weber in there, 6".