What kind of wire to hook up my EV?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tommyg, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

Hey folks!

I have an EV12L that I want to bring back into commission. I bought 14-gauge wire to hook it back but the wire is too thick to get into the holes via the "push pins" (heck - it's even a challenge to solder the wire into the 1/4 inch right-angle jack!). Can I use 16-guage or should I just try to force the wires in and trim the excess copper threads?

The speaker is 300 watts and I was told that I should stick with the 14-gauge.

BTW - I'm plugging this into a Mesa/Boogie MkIII 60-watt combo.

Thanks in advance for all help!

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

At 60W you don't need to worry about it. Just use the cable that fits neatly into the terminals - loose strands can cause trouble so you should avoid doing that.

4. Euthymia

Euthymia Member

You could use 18ga. for such a short run; that's probably what's connecting the output transformer to the jack anyway.

5. tommyg

tommyg Member

Hey John and Euthymia -

Thanks for your input! BTW - I had some 14-gauge "solid" copper wire lying around my garage that I used; it's now back into service and the cleans are phenominal!

One question I have is: Will I do any damage to the amp (the output transformer?) by using a 14 gauge cable? It's not sending/receiving to much power "draw" to the speaker or vice/versa?

Thanks again for your help!