What kind of wood is sycamore?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by journo, Dec 27, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I'm just browsing the Ibanez Artcore series on their web site and some models use sycamore instead of maple.

Any experiences of this wood?
    What kind of wood is it?

Cheers,

Mats N

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I have an Aria solidbody made from sycamore. Tonally, I'd say it's along the lines of basswood: lightweight with focus on the fundamental but not too much depth like that of mahogany.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have a sycamore, a huge sycamore, in my front yard. That tree dumps limps every storm or breezy day. It's not a very strong wood while living, and brittle when dead. I love the color though. Never heard it used for guitar, maybe it will become a hot item and I can chop mine down and sell it.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Most sycamore is a denser wood like maple. I happened upon an old piece of spalted sycamore which is the top on one of my NAMM guitars. Take a look..............[​IMG]

This stuff's about 45 yrs. old and very light. Almost spruce-like, but with less stiffness.

5. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Sycamore is a wood very commonly used for the back & sides of flamenco guitars, along with cypress. they typically have a spruce top. These guitars have a sharp attack & bright tone, compared to classical guitars with their rosewood sides & cedar tops.

6. fractal

fractal Member

That's very pretty wood! I know that Santa Cruz ran across some insanely old sycamore that they used in a number of guitars a while back. I haven't gotten a chance to play the wood, but it does sure look nice. :D