What Kind of Wood was Used for This Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by KOTR, Jul 15, 2006.

1. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

Any ideas on what species of wood this may be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

looks similar to Brazilian rosewood to me.

what make is the guitar?

4. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

I was going to ask the same question...who's the builder? That could be brazillian, but it looks quite light in color and it may have been a lower grade of brazillian.

Other than that, I really can't say. The asain and japanese guitar markers often use unusual woods that you don't see much, so it might be a species not used much here in the states if it's a foriegn guitar.

5. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

I wasn't going to post the maker's name so as to not influence opinions but it seems to more important info than I thought.

The guitar is a Washburn D24S Limited Edition from 1991. "Hand Made" in Korea. I requested info from Washburn. They have no specs for the wood on this model in their database.

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Well, there are dozens of rosewood species and it kinda looks like a very light Indian rosewood to me.

7. suttree

suttree Member

i'm gonna guess cocobolo.. but it might certainly be a light variety of rosewood, or one of many other trees i've never heard of.

8. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Washburn used alot of Ovankol particularly in the 90's. Hard to tell by the photo though I would need to see a close up.
    Evan

9. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

A majoity of those korean guitars are laminated wood to begin with, so I don't think it's going to make a huge difference what species that really is.

10. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

In Washburn nomenclature D24S indicates the 24 style for them and a solid spruce top. Back and sides were laminated. Trying to remember more about it. The D21S was rosewood.
    Evan

11. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

It doesn't look like Rosewood in person (I realize everyone can only see the photos). It has too much of an orange-ish hue to it. May be just the stain. I brought up some pics of Ovangkol on the web and I think that looks to be correct. Thanks for all the input.

12. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

What do I win? Glad I could be of help. I like your new spelling "Evangkol"
    Evan

13. KOTR

KOTR Supporting Member

Fixed the spelling - I'm a terrible speller and a horrible typist.

14. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

no worrys, i mean worries

15. Janine

Janine Member

I have a Washburn D21SZ that has zebrawood back & sides. The model # does have a Z in it - are you sure yours doesn't?
    (Incredible guitar for the money, btw.)

Info & pics - zebrawood:

http://www.ellisguitars.com/Zebrawood.html

Janine

16. Janine

Janine Member

17. BigRed51

BigRed51 Member

Here is a description from an old ad on the internet:

"Very lightly used 1991 Washburn D24S hand made Limited Edition dreadnought acoustic guitar. I am the original owner of this guitar. I bought it new in October of 1991. This guitar is number 254 of 1000 made. It has a solid spruce top, mahogany neck (2 piece neck with a 2 piece headstock), rosewood fingerboard, and ovangkol back and sides. There is cream binding around the body and black binding on the fingerboard."

Taylor has used this wood in their 400 series ... here is their description:

"Ovangkol is an attractive hardwood indigenous to tropical West Africa. The Ovangkol featured on Taylor's 400 series guitars has a similar appearance to rosewood, but with a lighter, olive hue. It also shares some tonal characteristics with rosewood, but boasts the livelier "sparkle" found in such medium-density hardwoods as mahogany, walnut, and koa."

18. Grindi

Grindi Member

It is Ovangkol. I have #135 and am the only owner. Bought it in 1991 for $599 on sale from $899. I can't believe how low these are going for. My Larivee L03RE is worth $1100 more than I paid. My Taylor 355 around $900 and my Gibson ES 135 about $700 more and all these I bought new between 2000 and 2003. The playability and tone of the Washburn really is second to none. The Ovangkol gives it a bright voice but the bass is still deep. It is extremely easy to play, close to the Gibson and Larivee. They all are a bit different. The Larivee is quicker because of the ebony fingerboard and the Gibson softer but it is a Hollowbody. It has enough voice to let you be heard at a bluegrass jam. What is surprising, it is the one I keep the grand kids from touching and from what I see on prices it is worth about $1500 less than my others. Go figure. They get by my Larivee again I'll have to shoot em. :crazyguy