What kind/type of tremolo is this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Silvio55, May 11, 2015.

1. Silvio55

Silvio55 Member

This is the song that first comes to my mind when I think of tremolo, thanks to the movie "Christine", I've been a fan of that movie since I was 5 or 6. I know it's a tremolo from an amp, I searched the web to see if I could find some info in the amp used in this recording but nothing came out.
    So, what kind of tremolo is this? the softer sine wave of a bias trem or the more choppy/square wave type of the optical trem?
    If I would thake a chance I would say it's a bias trem but I don´t have experience with tremolos.
    What do you say?

2. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Maybe just a bunch of spring reverb after the trem?

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

It's pretty strong for the optical, but could be. My guess is a bias. I saw the Viscounts a couple times live as a teen. Cant remember though.

4. Silvio55

Silvio55 Member

Cool you saw them live!
    The recording is from 1960, but I don´t know if optical tremolos were available that year, google didn't help. I did't know bias trems could make such a strong effect, always thought they were more subtle in depth.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

if 1960 then it was probably a Tube trem like the Brown Super. Could be a Magnatone though, those things had way cool trem... (BTW:Bias trem can be really strong. Like a Princeton Reverb... change one resistor and it's way strong....) I was a HS sophomore in 61.. probably about the time I saw them. In Wa State we used to have all these huge dancehalls the size of roller rinks left over from the big band/war era I guess. pretty much all gone now.
    A lot of those early bands used to roll thru here, seems many were NW bands? Viscounts, Kingsmen, Wailers, etc.