What kinda cab do I need here?

SPROING!

This will be the strangest "problem" you've seen in a while.
I recently finished my guitar and got a new practice amp as well. A VHT Special 6 head, which I like a great deal. Probably gonna go back and get the 12/20 soon.
Anyway, I needed a cab. My amp guy said he had a pair of speakers he'd give me. Told me they were Utahs pulled from a 60 Bassman but he hadn't checked them and didn't even know if they worked.
I figured I'd make a temporary test box to put them in to see what's what. I never owned Utahs before and I've read they can be hit or miss so a minimum of fuss and expense was called for.
Here's what I did. :D
The box is well reinforced with glued in wood ribs everywhere. Its actually fairly sturdy, if not weather resistant.

So the speakers work great! And I mean GREAT! Dead ringer for vintage Jensens and they suit this amp perfectly.
And now here's my problem. I know I need a permanent cab but I'm afraid it won't sound as good. Lol. This thing sounds friggin spectacular and I know how pissed I'll be if I invest in a good cab and it doesn't sound as good as the damn box!

So, what do I need to look for in a cab for these speakers?
Square/diagonal, vertical or horizontal?
Pine or plywood?
Open/closed? (It is presently open)

Other bits of wisdom so I don't make a mistake?

sharpshooter

If you like the sound of what you have, just finesse the design a bit, make it look like something you would be proud to own, and make provisions for some kind of grill, or cloth, whatever, to protect the speakers.

bcmatt

Are you building or buying? I guess it doesn't matter too much because you can have a lot of choice even in the purchasing...

The speaker arrangement (horizontal/diagonal) is probably not that big of a deal comparatively to other features.

Generally from most important to least important IMO:

1) Stay Open Backed
2) Try to get close in regard to internal volume (doesn't have to be super close because it is open-backed, but you want enough space before the low frequencies can travel out around from the back to cancel out the low frequencies coming out the front; this is why partial back panels and a decent cabinet depth are also important)
3) Baffle board size and thickness. The stiffer it is can contribute to solid low end...
4) Good furniture grade ply-wood or solid pine will contribute to whether the cabinet provides a more solid feel or resonates. I'm guessing that your box is plywood or some cheaper alternative, so stick with good plywood of similar thickness.

I don't know the details of your box, but I bet this isn't so different:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage g212.htm

Even though you would want it unloaded, I bet a friend would appreciate you selling him a pair of Creambacks for $200...:idea

dragan

If you know some one with a marshall 2061 see if theyll let you remove the back & try it out

SPROING!

Are you building or buying? I guess it doesn't matter too much because you can have a lot of choice even in the purchasing...

The speaker arrangement (horizontal/diagonal) is probably not that big of a deal comparatively to other features.

Generally from most important to least important IMO:

1) Stay Open Backed
2) Try to get close in regard to internal volume (doesn't have to be super close because it is open-backed, but you want enough space before the low frequencies can travel out around from the back to cancel out the low frequencies coming out the front; this is why partial back panels and a decent cabinet depth are also important)
3) Baffle board size and thickness. The stiffer it is can contribute to solid low end...
4) Good furniture grade ply-wood or solid pine will contribute to whether the cabinet provides a more solid feel or resonates. I'm guessing that your box is plywood or some cheaper alternative, so stick with good plywood of similar thickness.

I don't know the details of your box, but I bet this isn't so different:
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage g212.htm

Even though you would want it unloaded, I bet a friend would appreciate you selling him a pair of Creambacks for $200...:idea
Thanks.
Will probably build it myself. I have some good plywood here but it's pretty heavy. I may go get pine for this.

Trending Topics