What kinda of partsocaster shall I build?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by markom89, Feb 23, 2008.

Telecaster or Stratocaster partsocaster?

1. Telecaster

2. Stratocaster

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've been wanting to build one for about a year now, and have a body kickin' around, but I don't wanna' use this one.

Should I build a strat or a tele? I've already got a killer strat, and another strat, but I'd like to sell the "other" strat. I'm a strat lover. That said, I really like teles. My amps are a Bruno UG30, AC-15 and soon Komet Concorde. I use pedals. I like to play clean alot. I also like fuzz.

I'd like the guitar to be in the style of a late 50's or early 60's strat or tele. I'd also like to use colors true to the period. Parts true to the period, etc...

What do you guys think? Got any pics of guitars from this period that might inspire me? I know I'm being very vague, but I just would like to know... I'm stuck between a strat and a tele partsocaster. wtf?

:RoCkIn

2. Rick51

Rick51 Member

Go for the Tele! Particularly since you don't have one. There's just nothing like it when it's time to start chopping.

3. madscientist

madscientist Member

tele with a strat headstock

4. HHB

HHB Member

gotta have the set, my parts guitars

[​IMG]

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

I say Tele, too. Maybe Shoreline Gold? When did that color come into being at Fender?

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'm a parts Tele fan, so my opinion is skewed. But it's a lot easier to build a good parts Tele, than it is to build a good parts Strat.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

A Tele with Strat arm and back contours, 3 pups, Tele bridge, back routed, medium D-back neck 1 11/16 nut, rosewood board, Samp Ash, but medium weight....hold on...did you say for you?
    If you build it that way and don't like it, give me a call, I'm not far away, maybe we can cut a deal. Don't mess it up!:AOK

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

hmmm... you all seem to like tele's :confused:
    why is that?
    I've had tele's before... I like tele's, but I like strat's too.
    I could use another strat if I sold off one of mine, but I could also use a tele :)

9. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I've just never put together a Strat that turned into a #1 guitar.

Maybe it's time I took one more stab at it though.

Part of my Strat downfalls is that I've never stuck close enough to old time '50s construction.

I bet that if I went hardcore, and used a good heal adjusted neck, a set of handwound pickups, a Callaham bridge assembly, nitro lacquer finish.... you know, the whole 9 yards, I'd finally build a good Strat

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Pete, I know what you're saying, but I'd sure be tempted to give it a go. I've been lookin' at pictures all over the net for the past few hours of "clasic" looking fender's, and there are just sooooo many to chose from. I'm mostly stuck on the color combos I'd like to use, though. Here are some possible ones:

Tele- Sonic blue swamp ash body, maple neck w/brazilian rosewood board (a dark one, if possible), clay dot inlays, mint green guard.

Tele- Olympic white swamp ash body, maple neck w/brazilia rosewood board (also dark one, if possible), clay inlays, mint green guard.

Tele- Fiesta red swamp ash body, maple neck w/ dark braz board, mint green guard, clay inlays.

Tele- see-through blonde ash body, maple neck & board w/skunk stripe, white guard, black dot inlays.

Tele- Ice blue metallic alder body, maple neck w/ dark braz board + skunk stripe, clay dots, mint green guard.

strat- fiesta red alder or ash body, maple w/dark braz board + skunk stripe neck, mint green guard, clay inlays.

strat- vintage white/aged olympic white/yellowed white/whatever they call it on an ash/alder body, maple/ braz rosewood (dark, obviously) neck w/ skunk + clay inlays & whiteish guard w/parch. knobs and stuff.

strat- olympic white, braz/maple/skunk neck, mint green guard, clay, etc...

strat- olympic white, dark braz.rswd/maple/skunk neck, turtoise guard, gold-ish hardware, clay inlays... dare I do a matching headstock?

all those classic combos... you know?

I'd love to have the funds to build 2 or 3 of these...

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

generally speaking, most of the custom colour fenders were alder bodies. the more closed grain of these made filling and finishing the body a much easier production consideration. the trans white, butterscotch and sunburst guitars were always swamp ash.

also, i'm not aware of any rosewood fretboard neck that also has the skunk strip.

having put together a few parts-o-casters back in the days of exotic woods and brass hardware (way back in the day), i can tell U that the tele is a far easier beast to pull off well.

during his tenure w/ the yardbirds, eric clapton used a fiesta red tele w/ a slab board into a vox AC30. not the biggest EC fan, but that sound is one of the touchstones of rock & roll. go w/ the alder body in the tele to get more mids.

there's gotta be some nice colour pix around of EC w/ that tele. it looked scrumptious.

12. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

thats what I keep thinking and def the reason why Ive never built a partsocaster

13. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Do this for me Markom... shell pink or sonic blue over alder.. maple neck, maple board, at least a mediumlarge feel....... humbucker or p90 in the neck.... brass saddles.......

Ok, build one for yourself, but that is what I would do....ha.

14. HHB

HHB Member

a tele is such a cool guitar, from chicken pickin and R&B to Zep to Rage Against the Machine, it can do it all! I aggree that staying close to the 50's specs gives the best results, my fav is an alder body w/ a one piece maple neck (strats and teles )

15. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

One just like this.

[​IMG]

16. HHB

HHB Member

oh no! that dude is off the hook

17. straightblues

straightblues Member

I would go with the tele if I were you. You need to decide from the start, do you need to be historically accurate or not. If you need to be historically accurate you will limit yourself. When I build them I try to take the looks and style from the past but add new things like the Glendale bridge and saddles that really sound historically correct, but allow for intonated saddles. Have fun with it. Here is my 60's style guitar. (It has Don Mare's Green Onions pickups.) I also have a maple quilt top guitar that I am just about finished with that will be 50's Broadcaster style (Don Mare Broadcaster pickups, and steel broadcaster type saddles) that I am just about done with.

[​IMG]

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

So maybe I should build a tele first...
    Okay :) what color combo now?
    I hope I can find a t-style body that's as light as the mahagony S body I got from USACG (2.9lbs), as I'd like to get a very light tele in the end.
    So many beautiful combinations :(

19. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

You'd think he'd clean off his guitar after blowing chunks on it.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

what do you guys think is the best "classic" color for a tele? :confused: