What level player are you?

What level player are you??

• Total voters

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious what categories most of us fall into here... hope I provided enough options

As for yours truly, I used to part-time gig for decades, but health reasons have prevented me from being in a working band situation for some time

Obviously, the responses are NOT taking COVID into account – otherwise I would think most of us would be in the same boat :p

taez555

I fit in 3 of those categories, 4 if you count the past year.

I used to gig 20 years ago. Have a degree in music. Don't gig or play with friends anymore(they all moved away). Focus on making music and on-line music related content at home, including paid commercial use. However that was always a secondary income until I got laid off from my day job a year ago. Which means my secondary income, inadvertently became my main source of income last year. So yeah... I'm professional, part time, at home hobbyist who used to gig.

Last edited:

JosephZdyrski

I find these choices some what flawed. Are we measuring ability on ones instrument, or being able to run the mine field of being able to maintain a financial existence via playing that instrument.

I’d argue these are not the same thing, not really the criteria I use to judge a player especially today when most working musicians are out of the work unless they are incredibly lucky.

And these days there are multi million dollar recording artists who would get owned by little kids on the internet, so ability is not exactly an easy thing to quantify with or draw direct link with financial success imo.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
Beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional...? That's how I would see "levels" at playing guitar. "Levels" at getting payed to play has a huge range, from busking to the occasional bar gig, to the touring pro, to Tim Pierce, to Jimmy Page. The word "professional" should be used somewhat loosely, and isn't in direct correlation with how well someone plays guitar or is a musician.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
The word "professional" should be used somewhat loosely, and isn't in direct correlation with how well someone plays guitar or is a musician.
Exactly... "Professional" is meant in the literal sense... as in, you MAKE MONEY from playing

And yes, this poll is unrelated to anyone's actual playing ability – it's just for fun, and not meant to be analyzed to death :rolleyes:

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional...? That's how I would see "levels" at playing guitar. "Levels" at getting payed to play has a huge range, from busking to the occasional bar gig, to the touring pro, to Tim Pierce, to Jimmy Page. The word "professional" should be used somewhat loosely, and isn't in direct correlation with how well someone plays guitar or is a musician.
This, exactly.

Getting paid to play and one's skill as a guitar player are not the same thing.

Trending Topics