What lightweight guitar do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DaniStrato, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DaniStrato

DaniStrato Member

I currently have a strat which doesn't weight that much but after playing 4 sets a night for 6 days a week i end up really fatigued and tired, my back and my left shoulder too. I have 24 but i don't want to have any kind of health issues related to this. I don't know why but is difficult to find an used parker guitar in good condition which i would say it one the lightest guitars out there that i know of. So i would like to see what you recommend me?

Under 1500$ or max 1800$ if is a really good guitar, versatile because i play from big band to metal and everything in between(i've seen people doing all this with a tele), with trem would be nice although i can stand and work with floyd roses bridges and yeah lightweight. I only have 1 guitar(the strat) and this would be my #2 so it will be a guitar that i will use a lot, everyday even.

2. jimmyp1

jimmyp1 Member

3. MusicalMan

MusicalMan Member

Gibson Nighthawk. Versatile, lightweight, and in your price range. I’m a Nighthawk fan though and may be of interest for you to check out. It’s like a Fender-Gibson guitar.

4. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Silhouette Special is pretty light.

Lt Dak likes this.
  5. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Something headless. A Kiesel Osiris or Zeus would be in your price range. They could also chamber it to make it even a little lighter.

6. wox

wox Supporting Member

Don't assume Steinberger are lightweight, many are not.

The old hollow body graphite L guitars ($$$) are light, but my '86 GM4T (wood body) is nearly 8.5 lbs.

I'd check out Strandberg. I don't know the weight of mine offhand, but it's super lightweight - prob in the 5 lb range.

gtrnstuff likes this.
  7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Strat with a chambered body and lightweight vintage slotted tuners (so it doesn't neck dive) takes a pound or 2 off a standard Strat (I have one with a Warmoth chambered body, quite nice). I also have 2 Parker Flys,amazing guitars if you can find a clean one; 4 1/2 and 5 pounds.

gtrnstuff likes this.
  8. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

I’m considering a prs vela hollow body for this reason. Routinely in the low to mid 5lb range and same budget.

9. themadcaplaughs

themadcaplaughs Member

10. Russ73

Russ73 Member

My PRS S2 Mira is around 5lbs, no neck dive either, you can stand with it for hours and you barely feel like anything is slung from you neck...

ellis dee likes this.
  11. 8len8

8len8 Member

12. Tootone

Tootone Member

Swamp Ash bodied Strats... shop around.

Slash, e??? and ellis dee like this.
  13. Emigre

Emigre Member

Done and done:

[​IMG]

C-4, Hackdog69, Cruciform and 3 others like this.
  14. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

A chambered Kiesel Vader is RIDICULOUSly light. Also you can get whatever pickup arrangement you want, despite the photos / specs.

15. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Fender Thinline Telecaster variants.

YMMV

16. brain21

brain21 Member

Anything Korina. A semi-hollow korina weighs basically nothing. Reverend makes some. If you can go the partscaster route, you can get korina semi-hollow bodies from Warmoth as well. PRS too, but they can be pricey.

Tritone likes this.
  17. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Surprisingly enough my Firebird is a fair bit lighter than my SG.

18. diego

diego Member

19. Harvester of Pain

Harvester of Pain Member

I have a bad back, so I like the Ibanez SC420 for a lightweight solid body. They don't have the neck droop some of the other S-series suffer and they are ridiculously cheap (only available second hand) for the quality, although they benefit from a pickup swap. With your chosen pickups and the standard wiring, they can be very versatile, but if you love your strat in-between sounds you might be underwhelmed.

As the OP alluded to, I find telecasters to be incredibly versatile despite their simplicity and as someone else mentioned, the thinline varieties are pretty light. My mahogany 69 thinline RI doesn't bother my bad back too much, but it suffers severe neck droop...