What lollars to get for my strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cruz Azul, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

I've got a couple of strats loaded with blue velvet's in the neck and middle and a jb or jb jnr in the bridge.

I'm keen to try some Lollars but no idea which ones to go for!

I want a real spanky, smooth clean sound and not too hot or super bright in the bridge.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

after going through the BF...BL and Tweed sets I opted for a tweed in the neck and Blondes in in the middle and bridge position...smooth and articulate with no icepick...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Thanks for the replies guys...

Seegs - is the neck tweed really fat? That's the position i use the most..

4. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I'll second Seeg's suggestion. DO NOT go for the blackface set based on your description of what you are looking for.

Steve

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

CA...I live in the neck position also...the tweed neck is not what I would call fat but rather it has scooped mids which helps it articulate...my fave. strat neck pup...having said that it is not a thin sounding pup either...it sounds great clean and overdrives creamy smooth...if I want to fatten it up without losing articulation I use my Klon which sounds amazing with the Tweed neck pup...

if you go with that setup I would also recommend leaving the Blonde middle pickup unloaded as it sounds amazing this way and it helps articulate the in-betweens better...

the Blonde is fatter but I found it a bit bloated for my needs and the BF neck even more so...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I'd get the lollar BF pu's I totally disagree with the earlier poster. Go to my thread posted in the sound clips section (it's called my link to blues band with original music) and listen to "I'm going home" (10:15) and "Blame it on Myself". These were done using a Vinetto strat with Lollar BF pu's.

I used a Matchless Clubman with a 1x12 with an Eminence Wizard in it. The gain pedal is a King of Tone. There is no way this would be considered harsh and the Matchless and Wizard can be real bright.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've got all three sets in different strats. I also have the setup Seegs is talking about with the tweed in the neck and blondes in the middle and bridge. It is really nice. I would recommend either that or the blondes throughout. I think a full set of tweeds may be a little too thin at times. The blondes are just right. If you want a really clean neck pickup that is not too full, swap for the tweed in the neck.

A straight set, the blondes are my favorite. The bridge pickup is just right for me.
    I agree with harry re:the blackface as well. I really like the set I put in my G&L Legacy. They are fuller and have more bite than the blondes and tweeds, because of the A5 magnets and hotter wind, but they are not harsh and not too hot. All three are great, just different flavors.

If smooth and scooped in the mids is what you want, definitely the blondes or tweeds with the A2 magnets.

8. Zillie

Zillie Member

What about blonde/blonde/special combo that Bill Nash use for his strats?

(Specials are A5, am I right?)

9. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'll do some more reading, might have to try a few different sets!

10. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I had a set of Blackface and they didn't do it for me. Not Strat-like enough to me...OK but non-descript.

I like the Blonde/Blonde/Tweed idea. Neck pups are always too undefined to me and this makes sense.