• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What Looks Like a Strat but Sounds Like a Tele?

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I love the looks of Strats but the sound of a Tele. Teles, to me,l ook strange. The headstock is odd and the bridge looks like an unfinished project. But the sound, love it!

So, what looks Like a Strat but sounds like a Tele?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Just take a Strat body (before routing) and have it routed and configured like a Tele.

Last edited:

Chicago Slim

The outer coils, have a good Tele sound. It's the setting that I use the most, followed by the bridge humbucker. The Inner coils will still give me the Strat, out of phase sound, that is about my third, most used pickup selection. I used to wire my SSS Strats for a single master Tone, and so that I can use the neck and bridge together. I was also playing Tele's at the time. Now, I'm now happier with the Blacktop HH wiring.

burntumbers

one option is...a Peavey T15
doesn't really look like a strat,
but the bridge pickup has a tele-like sound
and in the middle you get that quack sound.
no tremolo though.

there's the new Ibanez Talmans with tele pickups
one is a nashville too.

or just buy a strat copy and plop some tele pickups in

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
That great but what is it? You're saying this is a Blacktop?

The outer coils, have a good Tele sound. It's the setting that I use the most, followed by the bridge humbucker. The Inner coils will still give me the Strat, out of phase sound, that is about my third, most used pickup selection. I used to wire my SSS Strats for a single master Tone, and so that I can use the neck and bridge together. I was also playing Tele's at the time. Now, I'm now happier with the Blacktop HH wiring.

s2y

Very nice. I love the sound of my Stambaugh. I much prefer the feel of a Strat style body. Ultimately, I'm stuck with the Tele shape due to my B-Bender. Still a killer guitar but doesn't hang like a Strat.

Sigmund

I'd try a bridge singlecoil with a baseplate, ideally a tele bridge pickup.
Some people run tele bridgepickups in strats with great results.
You will probably lose some tele character if you don't have a pickup that's mounted in the bridgeplate.
But then again, the Tom Anderson telecasters use a regular hardtail bridge and sounds plenty tele-like for most people...

Chicago Slim

That great but what is it? You're saying this is a Blacktop?
Yes. It's the discontinued Blacktop Strat. I'm thinking of buying a second one, while there are still a few new one's, available. The necks are gloss, with the spaghetti logo. 9.5" radius, with medium jumbo frets. I love the neck.

Position 1 = bridge, 2 = outer coils, 3 = both humbuckers, 4 = inner coils, 5 = neck. Most of the pickup explanations that you'll find, are wrong.

m.e.

Talking like a jerk except I am an actual jerk
Gold Supporting Member
Maybe a DAG Telstar? I think I saw one in the Emporium a few days ago.

Jakejj2000

I love the looks of Strats but the sound of a Tele. Teles, to me,l ook strange. The headstock is odd and the bridge looks like an unfinished project. But the sound, love it!

So, what looks Like a Strat but sounds like a Tele?

Thanks!
Get a strat, and put tele pickups in it!!!

Trending Topics