• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

what low/medium gain OD's retain, or even boost low-end

groovington

Already came in here to say Greer Ghetto Stomp. But after reading the above dialogue about semantics of the retaining or boosting bass, it's made me think of a couple others:

The Clark/Barber Gainster (has internal trimpot for bass).
Rockett Blue Note OD - has a fat knob for bass, and really fattens up strat bridge pickups, without muddying up the neck pickup.

Goo Fighters

Already came in here to say Greer Ghetto Stomp. But after reading the above dialogue about semantics of the retaining or boosting bass, it's made me think of a couple others:

The Clark/Barber Gainster (has internal trimpot for bass).
Rockett Blue Note OD - has a fat knob for bass, and really fattens up strat bridge pickups, without muddying up the neck pickup.
Does the Blue Note have that TS mid hump or is it fairly neutral EQ wise?

groovington

Does the Blue Note have that TS mid hump or is it fairly neutral EQ wise?
This is the great thing about the Blue Note. It has a "hot" switch. When on, you get the mid hump, with a little extra gain or hair in your signal. Switch it off and the mid hump is gone! Seriously, one of the best pedals for low/med gain. It also doesn't get overly compressed with the gain turned up so you retain your picking dynamics too.

Goo Fighters

This is the great thing about the Blue Note. It has a "hot" switch. When on, you get the mid hump, with a little extra gain or hair in your signal. Switch it off and the mid hump is gone! Seriously, one of the best pedals for low/med gain. It also doesn't get overly compressed with the gain turned up so you retain your picking dynamics too.
Very nice...do you think the BN (hot switch engaged) would be redundant with an 808 TS, or does it have a unique character?

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
I had to post this because it popped in my head while reading the OP. This is advertised as being good as a lower gain overdrive, but I've never played through one.

Anyway, Scott Henderson says the Maxon SD-9 is the best overdrive ever, because it's the only pedal he's used that doesn't lose bass.

(SD stands for Sonic Distortion.)

groovington

Very nice...do you think the BN (hot switch engaged) would be redundant with an 808 TS, or does it have a unique character?
For a long time I used to use 2 modded ts9's, and then 2 vintage (early 80's) ts9's, and then an early 80's ts9 into an early 80's ts808, so I would have to say no to redundancy, as I always had the two of them dialed in to give me 3 different gain sounds (stacking them together for the 3rd and highest gain). I do gotta say that the Blue Note is very similar to the tubescreamer circuit, but even with the hot switch engaged, you can mold your tone much better due to the "fat" knob so you can add more body and oomph to your tone. And it definitely plays well with other pedals.

Agileguy_101

Another vote for the Nobels ODR-1. Great overdrive, and extremely cheap, especially by TGP standards. That's an impulse buy for most of us.

The good news is that the audible bass frequencies aren't usually lost, they're just attenuated. This means you can feed the OD more of those frequencies and lose less, or re-boost them afterward.

What you might consider doing is running an EQ pedal after a good sounding OD. Find an OD you really like, and then boost the bass after it.

This is RIGHT ON and exactly fits with my point earlier... The Sunface does lose any bass but only attenuates it (which you can boost later(even just with amp volume)) but the Pharoah does not attenuate it giving the impression that the Pharoah retains more bass...

it annoys me sometimes when people say you have to use a 'bass' fuzz, while this is EASIER it is not neccesary to get massive low end as you can boost it POST fuzz/od...

BukiUki

Blue Boy Deluxe, with the body knob you can get tons of bass in the signal, and is a brilliant low gainer, on bass too!

Jdawgy

No Skreddy Screwdriver love?:confused:

The Screwdriver can do anything you want... Clean boost, low or med gain OD, it can get into fuzzy territory, High boost, Low boost...

It will retain anything you want as well as add anything you want... and with the top side trimmers, you can get ANY OD tone that is in your head...

freaksho

Zvex Box Of Rock. Beefy lows. Made to sound like a JTM45.
YES YES YES! that or the Distortron which is the same circuit except that it gives you some control over the bass. amazing for low/med gain if you don't mind the beefy bottom (it was too much for me). it's extremely dynamic and amp-like too.

Jet Age Eric

I'm in a three piece and I love the Solidgold Superdrive largely (but not solely) because it leaves my low end alone; it's the best pedal I've played for medium (and up) gain. Screwdriver and Fetto Custom both do a good job of keeping the low end(and Fetto can boost), but neither sounds as natural as the Superdrive and the Fetto costs an extra $150.

For low gain, I love the Blackout Effectors Mantra w/low-gain mod. It will tighten your low-end a bit, but you won't lose any (unless you want to roll some off), and it can boost your low end if you want. -E

Trending Topics

Top Bottom