What LP Jr. do you prefer and why? Double or Single cut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Post pics if you want. I'm talking historic or original. Are the bodies of these (not thickness, but body) as big as a regular les paul? Are the necks of the single and double cuts the same size on the historics? The only difference I can see is that maybe the single cut might be a little bit beefier.

2. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I thought there were a lot of Jr fans around here

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Doublecut. More comfy, better fret access. Always been a favorite shape of mine. Sit's comfortably on me, just a timeless design. Though my P90 guitar is a thorn, it's quite reminiscent of the timeless DC Jr.

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Singlecut.
    ALOT more stability on the neck.
    Less tweaks ( truss rod ) and less likely for a neck set down the road or a bow that just won't come out. IMO.

5. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I'll be the first to tell ya that there's NOTHING cooler than a TV yellow doublecut Junior. But, I have to say I prefer the singlecut. They sound a bit beefier to me, guess the singlecut just gives them that extra ass that makes em sound so good to my ears. :AOK

As for comfort, I've been playing LPs for twelve years now & that shape just feels so natural to me anymore.

It's hard to wrap my head around the strap pin location on a DC (I've been known to move them to the horn, but that only makes it slightly better) and I tend to think of the DC more akin to a SG than the Les Paul.

But let me stress, I'm not putting down the DC at ALL. I wouldn't kick a Junior outta bed over having one too many cutaways. Or a SG for that matter.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Vintage Guitar ran the biggest LP Jr comparison I've ever seen a few years back. It was a real big deal, with dealers from across the country submitting their best 5 Jr's and a panel of judges ranking them. The top 5 out of 50 or 60 great Jr's were then ranked for tone by Leslie West.

IIRC, 3 or 4 of the top 5 were all double cuts, despite most of the entries being single cuts. The final winner was also a DC. Leslie did say he preferred playing a single cut live because the neck didn't flex as much.

7. Grap

Grap Member

TV yellow doublecut for me.

[​IMG]

8. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

Double is easier to play but I like the sound of a single a little better. I had a 57 in 1972 that I loved and got a lot of those Leslie West sounds.....it was stolen.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

For a pure looks perspective, I like the single cut look better.

However, for a guitar like this, it is all about tone baby!!! If the guitar doesn't have the tone, with only one pickup and no place to hide, there won't be much you can do to hide it. So I would suggest that you find the best sounding one that you can and go for it and forget about the looks.

I have a DC Hamer Jr. that was custom made for BCR Music. It is simply an amazing instrument. I have forgoten why I need more pickups or other fancy things.

10. SFK

SFK Member

I like them both but for me the single cut feels more natural.

[​IMG]

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Imo Doublecut for tone, Singlecut for durability but there are always exceptions.......

Best, Pete.

12. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Single-cut with the fatest neck possible. And, I have small hands.
    Thats the tone machine.

13. DanR

DanR Member

Ah yes, I remember that article. I was surprised Leslie picked the double as he did prefer playing the single.

I have an LP Special double cutaway. I prefer the double for comfort and also aesthetics (at least it looks better to me). I've never really compared them for tone, although with my tin ear, I think the difference would be negligible.

DanR

14. goodtone

goodtone Member

I too had a beautiful SC Sunburst original 57 Junior that I foolishly sold. (Nice to know I'm not alone on that one) I've been haunted ever since. I like single cutaways for better tuning stability & aesthetic appeal. You definitely have to try before you buy !

15. BNB

BNB Silver Supporting Member

Here is the Vintage Guitar article that was referenced above. Every Junior lover should read this. The author, Gregg Levy of Hi-Test, really knows what he's talking about here. Hope this helps :)

http://www.vguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=108

16. EBGB

EBGB Member

I have a 57 SC. Feels/looks more like a "real" Les Paul. Balances better when seated too.