What makes a good chorus good & a bad chorus bad?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Steady, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

just curious. Please share your thoughts. Personally I like mine clear, crisp, and not too over the top. Just enough to accentuate my playing nothing too intense like some 80's crap

2. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Usually it is the Player using it.

3. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

Just my opinion but a good chorus has a mix knob

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

:rotflmao ... but there is a lot of truth in that

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

THIS!!!
    Unless its noisy or causes a volume drop, most chorus pedals Ive tried just need to be set correctly...

6. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

A good chorus pedal is one you like the sound of, and a bad one is one you don't. I have an old DOD chorus (I got somewhere around '82) that distorts easily and isn't a very pristine, hifi sound. I've heard others that were warmer and more lush. But, to me it sounds great for organ type sounds from the guitar, especially if there is some dirt after it. Sometimes I think I should get something better like a Lex or even a Tech 21 Roto Choir, but then I turn on my old chorus and I'm content with it, and my gas goes away. Others, I'm sure, would find it to be a bad chorus.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. Dire

Dire Member

For me, a good chorus is something that will have more than you need rather than not enough. e.g., the EHX Clone Theory can get extremely over the top wild sounding, a lot more than I would ever want. But the main settings I use are significantly more intense than what almost all other chorus pedals can achieve even on their highest settings.

The built-in chorus on the Roland JC-120 is my fave for guitar, I like using the adjustable setting (labeled "vibrato" on earlier versions) to get a more intense effect than the fixed setting.