• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What makes people say that Strats are the most versatile guitar?

Bodeanicus

I've said it several dozen times... But a Les Paul with coil splitting capabilities is far and away a more versatile guitar than a standard SSS Strat. I can EASILY dial in Strat and Tele like tones by splitting the coils on my LP! but I can't do the same thing on a Strat.

Um... you can't dial in Strat tones on a Strat?

Surfreak

Versatility doesn't just mean the largest number of pickup combinations. A single tone can lend itself to many music styles, if it is the right one.

With that respect, the Tele bridge tone to my ears is more versatile than, say, a Strat's bridge tone.

Ultimately, I associate versatility with musicianship, not with the tools you use. I can be a more or less veraatile player regardless of the guitar I am using.
Recuerdos de la Alhambra sounds great on a Strat's position 4, if you train your hand to play cleanly those single string tremolos.
Eruption sounds equally righteous on a Martin with cutaway, if you know what you are doing.

buddastrat

It is not.

Strat is a great guitar but it's not the most versatile guitar.
I own only one guitar and it is a strat but some time I want some p90, HB or semi-hollow tone that I can't get from my strat.

But with some pedals and right amp you can do a lot of thing with only one start.

But some people still consider humbuckers in a strat,, a strat. Like Fender for ex. That's what makes it versatile. All kinds of pickups work in a strat.

Someone mentioned a Gibson with split coils? That's not a great single coil tone. echh. Plus, you can't change the Gibson's scale.

+3kk!

act considering that some folks are pointing how how you can get a strat tone with a split coil. i actually wodner if the "strat" tone they hear is the same as i do, cause ive yet to hear a split coil do a strat tone.

nothing wrong with what they hear but i know some folks who would get SS configuration guitars and turn down the treble and mids coz its too harsh. they then up the bass to recreate a humbucker tone

then i also seen folks who cant coax anything good out of a strat because their technique is best used on a gibson or a superstrat. they cant get the twang and quack out of a strat, t hing is i find the best way to get the best strat tone out of them single coils is to hit the string with a lot of attack. might not work for someone else

=

aequitas

But some people still consider humbuckers in a strat,, a strat. Like Fender for ex. That's what makes it versatile. All kinds of pickups work in a strat.

I agree!! But I like strat in SSS so much that I won't route it and put HB in it. lol

I like strat and it is very versatile in term of music style. You can play almost everything on strat. But there is some sound that you can't get from strat.
So, imo there is no versatile guitar that can get all sound but strat is a great guitar that can cover a lot of music style.

Last edited:

burningyen

I don't think a Strat is the most versatile guitar (the Variax and Roland guitars can duke it out for that honor), but how about let's have fun with this and turn it into a game? Name a song you don't think a Strat would be good for, and let's see if we can convince you otherwise with clips.

kimock

I don't think a Strat is the most versatile guitar (the Variax and Roland guitars can duke it out for that honor), but how about let's have fun with this and turn it into a game? Name a song you don't think a Strat would be good for, and let's see if we can convince you otherwise with clips.

Song? Or specific guitar solo or guitar part sound?

buddastrat

I agree!! But I like strat in SSS so much that I won't route it and put HB in it. lol

I like strat and it is very versatile in term of music style. You can play almost everything on strat. But there is some sound that you can't get from strat.
So, imo there is no versatile guitar that can get all sound but strat is a great guitar that can cover a lot of music style.

So many strats already have the route. I don't mind routing if I want it. Plus the beauty of a strat is the interchangeable parts, you can simply get another body for the strat to accommodate different pickups.

did someone say versatile?

badhorsie551

I have dimarzios in my strat and I can do bluesy to metal.i don't know about the most versatile but I can definitely do a bunch of different sounds.

phoniako

In my opinion, a Strat is the most versatile guitar for a couple of reasons:

1) (already mentioned above) it is an instrument that fits most music genres and has huge icons achieving different results with the same instrument.

2) the distinctive design/construction features on the Strat allow to get so many sounds that probably others can't: 3 pickups, 5-way pickup selector, tremolo system, etc..

Ask Jeff Beck how many tricks he can do with a Strat! hehe

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
On the one hand, I think the most succinct answer to the question is the out-of-phase sounds (sorry, just not the same with a humbucker split) and the trem.

On the other hand, I think versatility in pickup selection can be a little overrated. With the right kind of pickups and creative use of vol/tone knobs you can make pretty much any guitar cover as much ground as you want.

Versatility is overrated and based on the experience and preference of the user.

IMO/IME, they are no more versatile that most other guitars. They just happen to have more pickups than some, therefore more tonal variety. However, since I hate positions 2-5 on a Strat, I see it as no more versatile than a Tele or LP.

Given that a stock Strat only has one volume control, I'd say it has quite a handicap compared to a two-pickup guitar with separate volume and tone controls.

"YMMV"

GEARHOUND

Live it's a different story but given some time to tweek (amps ,pedals) most guitars could "pull off" another tone...but not the tremolo...It would be hard to do Apache on a tele or paul...

Lewguitar

I think you know what I meant. I didn't word it particularly well, but still... come on broseph...

You can't dial in Les Paul or humbucker sounds on a SSS Strat. ;)

You can if you plug that Strat into a Klon or a Klone. Close enough anyway.

Way back in post #6:

I think Strats are the most versatile guitar there is.

With a Klone or Soul Food I can take my Strat single coils into humbucker territory and beyond - but there's no way to make a humbucker sound like a great Strat single coil.

You can split the humbuckers into single coils but the tone is never as good as a real Strat pickup, IMO.

But with a good clean boost or Klone you can give a Strat's single coils the drive and full tone that a humbucker gets and it will be an inspiring tone. ;)

Someone mentioned a Gibson with split coils? That's not a great single coil tone. echh. Plus, you can't change the Gibson's scale.

But to be fair, a Strat with humbuckers won't get the Les Paul sound either.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom