1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What Makes The Biggest Difference???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lovelace415, Sep 11, 2006.

1. lovelace415

lovelace415 Member

I have a '65 Fender Twin Reverb Re-Issue that I want to do some work on. I ordered some NOS tubes from KCA a few months ago.(but have yet to put them in, waiting on my Bias-Rite which should be in any day.) I wonder what will give me the most bang for the buck as far as tone is concerned. I play in church three times a week and really do not want to go with a original '65 because I don't want to damage the unit with the constant moving. So do I go with Mercury Magnetic transformers and if so which ones(Output, Power, Choke or Reverb???) or chage out the caps with some decent ones or what??? I like the sound of the amp as is but I know with some improvements it will sound much better and make me much happier. So sorry for all the rambling but give me some opinions of what some of you would do. Thanks!!

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Start with the speakers...that will make the biggest difference IMO. I can't really suggest anything in particular, but in my experience speakers make the biggest difference in terms of sound.

After that, then maybe output transformer...

Cheers,

Kris

3. brad347

brad347 Member

+1 speakers

I'd say that in my experience the biggest things that make a difference in your amp tone are, in this order:

speakers
    tubes
    output transformer
    everything else

4. lovelace415

lovelace415 Member

What are some speakers and or speaker manufacturers that I should look at?

5. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

6. brad347

brad347 Member

+1 again, on the weber

7. lovelace415

lovelace415 Member

What about some Tone Tubbys or Scumbacks or even some Jensens??:confused:

8. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Weber California is excellent in a Fender amp... classic clean, good overdrive

Weber Chicago is also excellent in this amp.

Reissue Jensen C12N is surprisingly good here, once broken in. I had 2 of these in a late 70's 70W Pro Reverb that really killed.

Eminence Cannabis Rex would be a great choice, especially if you find the amp a bit bright now and like overdriven tones.

9. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Oh yeah, to actually answer the question: I think speakers make the biggest difference.

10. brad347

brad347 Member

in my experience the phase inverter (brand, not type) usually makes much more difference than the rectifier (brand, not type). Your observations may obviously vary but that's just in my amps, I guess.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bet that twin would kill with the speakers that come stock in the '57 tweed Fender twin. I used to have a real blackface twin and believe it or not it sounded great with vintage greenbacks in it (I never used it above 4). Only thing is you can't play too loud otherwise you'll probably shoot them out the front of the amp.

I'd skip all the transformer and circuitry swaps, way to much hassle. Spend your money on speakers then tweak the amp with different pre-amp tubes. Personally, I like the sound of a 12ax7 in the PI slot of these amps (a little more gain)...they are clean enough already.

12. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I don't have a speaker suggestion.

I definitely recommend George L guitar cables.

If you decide to replace the trannys, I would just swap out the OT.

But, I really think, if you spend some time carefully trying tubes. I think that should get you where you want to be.

MikeY

13. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

14. brad347

brad347 Member

YES. But Weber Californias will get you close to if not all the way there for much less.

15. lovelace415

lovelace415 Member

Ok Brad if I went with the Weber California's do I go for the Alnicos or the Ceramics?? What are the differences in the sound from your experience??

16. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

For playing a Twin, in church, I'd think the power section would not be pushed very much (unless its a very raucous church). So I'd call it like this:

#1 = speakers
    #2 = preamp tubes
    #3 = phase inverter
    #4 = output tubes
    #5 = rectifier (solid state, in this case, so not a changeable option)

At lower output volume, you'll be getting any grit from the preamp section. The phase-inverter tube becomes much more influential as you crank the output, as does the choice of 6L6GC tubes.

- T

17. brad347

brad347 Member

I don't have experience with both. I have heard the alnicos and they are fabulous, very much in the JBL zone.

If you don't want 'em to be so clean, go with some from the vintage series (12Axxx or 12Fxxx)

18. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You would be best off with AlNiCo as that's what the JBL D120F's are...I think that they have a very clean and bright sound with a great deal of efficiency.Call Ted Weber and ask-I have heard he's a very accessible guy and very service oriented.

19. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Shouldn't these type of discussssion be in Amps & Cabs ?

20. lovelace415

lovelace415 Member

Donny, maybe so but if it is in the wrong section what does it really matter? I am not trying to start a battle but as long as dialogue is going on about issues and subjects related to this forum if an issue is in the wrong location what does it hurt??:confused: